How can I get my 3 1/2 yr old to sleep in his own bed?

Our son has been sleeping in our bed since he was about 1yr old. It all started when he became ill so we let him sleep with us to keep an eye on him. Basically it is our fault that he is not in his own bed at night. I want him to start becoming a big boy and sleeping in his own bed, but at the same time I am terrified that he will get up in the middle of the night and get hurt. We have monitors and those child safety things over our door knobs. I guess what I am asking is for advice on how to get him to start sleeping in his bed. He as of now does not even go into his room. Please someone help us!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:17 AM on Apr. 1, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I also have a 3 1/2 year old..I have a night light in his bedroom so that he doenst get scared. He has mostly always slept in his own room from the time he was born and i brought him home. If you start early enough later on you wont have a problem with them sleeping alone because they will be used to it.... I guess just be constistant with him and be the parent and make it comfortable for him to sleep in his big boy bed!
    Lovingmykids3

Answer by Lovingmykids3 at 11:25 AM on Apr. 1, 2009

• Be matter-of-fact about it, no drama. Just say starting tonight you are sleeping in your own bed. If he tries to fuss about it, just ignore him, keep a patient smile on your face. So that he sees it's a nice place to be, make sure he has a least one large stuffed animal that he can hug in his bed. Read to him while he is in his own bed so that he associates a pleasant experience with the bed. Keep at least one night light lit in his room, and probably keep his door open and the door to your bedroom so that he doesn't feel totally isolated. If he gets up to come to your bed, lead him back without comment, keep it up every time. The next night he should get up fewer times, and so forth. But don't give in or it will be much much harder. EVERY time, lead him back to his own bed.

Answer by Bmat at 11:27 AM on Apr. 1, 2009

• I agree with Bmat. Consistency is key. He will cry and break your heart but just keep reminding yourself that in the long run this is what is best for him. Also for your sakes start this on a Friday night so that you two do not have to work the next day! Also make a big deal out of it in the morning if he sleeps in his own room. !. Good Luck
    loyalgirl

Answer by loyalgirl at 11:43 AM on Apr. 1, 2009

• My mom told my brother that he was big enough to "camp". So, she put a tent on his bed (the kind where the floor is a fitted sheet) and gave him a flashlight. The enclosure made him feel safe at night and he liked the flashlight. He was 5. He'll be thirty in August and still loves camping. Only now he actually does so outdoors :)
    kara_g.

Answer by kara_g. at 12:42 PM on Apr. 1, 2009