Some help please ! I tried to prepare homemade liquid detergent and when I added the borax and washing soda to the soapy water, it foamed and poured all over. Just wondering if it ever happened to you. I was using a medium pan.

thanks.

r_b

Asked by r_b at 12:14 PM on Apr. 1, 2009 in Home & Garden

• You add that into a bucket not the pan. melt the soap in the pan. Pour that and more hot water into a bucket. Then add the soda and borax into the bucket.

what waching soda do you use?
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:55 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• BradenlsMyson, thanks!

I thought of that to mix everything on a bucket, but the recipe that I followed said that you mealt the soap and stir it on the stove and then you add borax and washing soda and heat and stirr them till they disolve complitely. I am happy that I had turned off the gas when I added borax and washing soda, otherwise who knows I might be in flame:)

I am using Conad products, these are Italian products. I live in Albania- I have been looking for borax and washing soda for awhile and finally find them at this Italian store.

I still have a question- the gel is floating above the water- is this normal? Do I have to stir them each time I use it ?
    r_b

Answer by r_b at 3:29 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• Why dont you just make powdered formula its harder to mess up and well there's no mess lol. Check out Hillbillyhouse.com go to her blog and type in laundry there are several recipes.
    meganiph

Answer by meganiph at 6:36 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• I saw your original question was already answered.

The gel is normal. I give it a good stir and then pour it from the bucket into an old laundry detergent bottle (use a funnel). Then when I go to add the detergent to my wash I give the bottle a good shake. That makes it easier than stirring it everytime you go to do laundry.

The liquid detergent works really well. I haven't had much success with the powdered detergent, it just doesn't seem to clean the clothes as well.
    momof3inTN

Answer by momof3inTN at 12:31 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• thanks moms for taking time to answer my questions. You're great! I really appreciate your answers.

meganiph, I tried powder, but the ingredients didn't mix very well though I blended them. And I was not quite content with the laundry- clothes didn't come out as clean as I hoped. So I guessed that the gel might be better as the ingredients dissolve and mix better. But thanks for the link, I will check that too.
    blessings
    r_b

Answer by r_b at 3:38 PM on Apr. 2, 2009