Need some tips on cooking chicken...

Yes, I am 30 and just starting to really learn to cook! Anyway, everytime I cook chicken on the stovetop in olive oil it crackles and spits out burning drops of olive oil! The chicken tastes good but I know there's gotta be an easier way to do this...what's the trick?!
Thanks!

stepmom929

Asked by stepmom929 at 12:26 PM on Apr. 1, 2009 in Food & Drink

• You could bake it in the oven.
    ABPeterson

Answer by ABPeterson at 12:29 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• Buy a whole chicken get some garlic if you like, rosemary, some lemon and throw it in the oven for a couple hours. Also cut up some potatoe's and throw them in the same pan. comes out good. poke some holes in the chicken and add garlic pieces inside. Its yummy I made it last night.
    faithsMoM27

Answer by faithsMoM27 at 12:31 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• Thanks ladies, it seems like cooking it on the stovetop is quick and easy, which I like, but I don't like getting sprayed by hot olive oil! Is that just the way it goes when you cook it that way? I was wondering if there was a way to cook it that way but avoid the burns...I thought there might be a trick to it...
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 12:35 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• I used to have a splatter screen to stop the oil, but it didn't always work. I'd go for oven cooking too. Another advantage...you can line your pain with foil and then just toss the foil away after cooking. No pan to clean!

Answer by gdiamante at 12:37 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• Make sure you pat the chicken dry before putting it into hot oil.
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 12:53 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• It is the water/moisture in the chicken causing this. pat dry and /or lightly flour. also read a cookbook (basic one like the joy of cooking) like a novel! cover to cover.
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 1:33 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• You can bake it in the oven just as easily and it tastes just as good, IMO - I brush both sides with olive oil, sprinkle on a pinch of kosher salt and some black pepper on both sides, and pop it in the oven at about 350 for 20-30 minutes (30-45 if on the bone).
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 2:57 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• Try cooking it at a lower heat and make sure its not real wet when you put it in the oil. I very seldom have splatters doing it this way.
    mbc324

Answer by mbc324 at 4:23 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• I prefer to bake chicken. It's a lot easier and neater and turns out great! I usually brush with olive oil and season with whatever you like. My family likes lemon pepper. Wrap it in foil and bake for about 45 minutes. Unwrap it and sprinkle with Parmesan and let cook for 10 - 15 more minutes or put it under the broiler for a few minutes to cook the outside and make a kind of crust. You can also make bbq chicken this way. Just put some bbq on, wrap in foil, bake . Unwrap, put a little more bbq on and finish the same.
    drowninginboys

Answer by drowninginboys at 4:34 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• Bake in the oven, make in the slow cooker/crockpot. Use lower heat on the stove, use cooking spray instead of the oil.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 5:26 PM on Apr. 1, 2009