Best way to clean dark hardwood floors?

I just moved into a new house and it's big and has all hardwood floors. What is the best way to clean them? Obviously they need to be swept/vacuumed often, but I can't decide what sort of mop is best to clean them...any suggestions?

stepmom929

Asked by stepmom929 at 12:27 PM on Apr. 1, 2009 in Home & Garden

• I use a dust mop for every day sweeping. To clean them, you can use 1 part vinegar to 4 parts water or Orange Glow wood floor cleaner. I know that the swiffer wood floor cleaner leaves huge streaks on my floors, even when I mop with the wood grain. It just looks like i dumped water on it. The orange Glow, if you use too much, will streak also. But the Swiffer seems to streak no matter what. Pledge used to make a wood floor cleaner, which I loved. I can't find it in my grocery store now, I don't know if they stopped making it or stopped carrying it...but it never left streaks.

momjoy1027

Answer by momjoy1027 at 12:39 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• I use Murphys Oil Soap on all my wood when it needs cleaning, including floors.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 12:58 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• Im the same as the first answer except we use an actual broom after each meal because the toddlers track it all over in seconds lol. Oh just so you know never ever use bleach its bad for the wood. The orange glow mop is great but the FlyLady.com mop is better because it flips up when its dirty and is a bit bigger for faster cleaning. Suave apple shampoo also works great on hardwood floors!
    meganiph

Answer by meganiph at 6:30 PM on Apr. 1, 2009