Singer sewing machine question, handle won't turn (15-91 model)

I had one given to me from my mother and it's not working right. I've tried everything and don't want to drag it 30miles to a shop to get it fixed since it's (model 15-91) a cabinet sewing machine not portable. The wheel won't turn over all the time (toward you), and when you run the foot pedal thing (sorry I'm new to sewing), the motor is running but it won't go all the way if you know what I mean. It does work sometimes though which makes me think it's not just the belt. This sewing machine has been sitting in my side room for 3 days now and I SOOOO badly want to start sewing lol. I have took the whole thing apart and oiled EVERYTHING. Anyone have any suggestions?

Kalcan8

Asked by Kalcan8 at 12:35 PM on Apr. 1, 2009 in Hobbies & Crafts

• I actually took it in to get it looked at yesterday. The problem was the spool bar was in the wrong hole and when the machine kicked on the vibrations made it drop down and hit a bar in the body of the machine making it stop. I don't know why there are 2 on top if you're not supposed to use one of them lol. I felt stupid but it took the lady about 20mins to find the problem so I didn't feel too bad lol. Thanks for the answers :)
    Kalcan8

Answer by Kalcan8 at 10:38 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• Are you sure the clutch is engaged? In the center of the 'wheel' that turns there should be a smaller wheel or knob. Sometimes they twist, sometimes they pull in and out. It is for disengaging the driver so you can wind a bobbin. Make sure it is in the correct position. Do you have a book for the machine? If not look on line. I have a very old singer myself. the book was lost in a move. I found the book online and mine is over 30 yrs old. Good Luck.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 12:47 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• Yeah, it's in the right place. I do have a book for the machine but it doesn't give any tips for troubleshooting. Thanks for taking the time to answer.
    Kalcan8

Answer by Kalcan8 at 12:52 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• I am a FACS teacher (fancy name for Home ec these days) Many times when they machine will not work it is because the machine is threaded improperly - or there is a jam... We have Vikin Machines at school, but I have several OLD 1940's or earlier trettle machines and love them - lots of work to use them though...

If you had a picture to send me on what it looks like I might be better able to help you out.

JEN
    GCWix-n-Stix

Answer by GCWix-n-Stix at 8:59 PM on Apr. 3, 2009