Dog will eat & drink ANYTHING, I mean anything at all people!!!

He eats thingd most dogs won't like fruit and veggies but I'm not really concrned about that this is my concern. We were painting our house and while the paint was still wet he was licking it off the walls and eating it, when the paint can was open he went up to it and started slurping and chugging down the paint like it was water anmd it was hot outside, he'll eat wooden popsical sticks, caryons, and many other things. He doesn't just chew it up and walk away he actaully swollows this stuff. He has food and water all the time so I don't know what it is. He's a borde collie mix and very inteligent, about 1 1/2, and spoiled rooten so I don't know why he does this. Any advice, ideas, or help?

babymomma0306

Asked by babymomma0306 at 12:38 PM on Apr. 1, 2009 in Pets

• My son's Mastiff whom I babysit sometimes, MY GRANDSON!!!!, at my living room table, my rocking chair, my son's living room door jamb, crayons, lettuce, bread, gum, rocks - they just do these things because they're all silly kids. Just keep what you can away from him that unsafe - chocolate anything and certainly paint and such. Just ENJOY. And he likes eat trees in yard and trim them. He had fun with a mouse. He'll grab a huge tree trunk and he's huge already, almost 2 years old and run around with it!! I've told my son he should hire out the dog to earn extra money and let him trim peoples trees and bushes!!!!
    Anonymous

• LOL! Yes, dogs are weird. I don't get it either, but then again, we aren't dogs! My dog eats spiders, flies, crickets (Oh, he loves crickets)... food of any sort, he loves jalepeno chips, so my groomers told me..

But then again, he will eat his own puke too, so go figure.
    Anonymous

• My dog will eat anything too!! The first Christmas that we had him everyone kept looking to see what he was eating and it was an olive. Best part was that he ate the olive and spit out the pits!! He loves corn on the cob and nibbles it like a person. This summer I am getting that on tape because I laugh so hard at him that it makes me cry!
    jenniferlee_12

Answer by jenniferlee_12 at 12:48 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• My grand doggie is a vegetarian these days! he loves veggies and even lettuce,ha. Our female German Shephard eats her own poop. Vet said that is normal in some breeds,weird.

The eating paint though,that isnt a good thing at all. Too many chemicals in there..why not put your dog outside when you paint? that seems so dangerous.
    guardmp_MOM

Answer by guardmp_MOM at 1:10 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• He eats what he has access to, which is 110% up to you.

Don't want him to eat crap? Don't let him get to it.
    SarahColbert

Answer by SarahColbert at 2:07 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• My dog will eat ALMOST anything, when we were painting he ran up to the open can of paint (it was white paint) and apparently thought it was milk so he tasted it--got this horrible shocked look on his face and my husband wiped out his mouth so he didn't get too much in his tummy and he didn't do that again, but he will lick the carpet occasionally, and he eats every kind of gross stuff, like cat poo, and his own vomit, and stuff like that. I think it's really just a dog thing. Just do your best to keep the bad stuff to a minimum, shouldn't be hard to do, and good luck.
    Anonymous

• Obiviously I put him out side (well, in another room) the very first time he tried drinking form the paint can!!! I've never has a dog that's done this before. My mother use to rescue dogs when i was growing up and none of them ever did things like this so my question was if it was like a vitamin or mineral deficiency or something.
    babymomma0306

Answer by babymomma0306 at 4:42 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• Yes, I know he can only get to stuff within his reach. Did you know it was 3 a.m. when I was painting so i had the dog indoors because he could get hurt outside because we live just a couple houses down from acres of woods and animals that come into our yard and want to attack him? And the licking the paint off the wall...I let him back in the living room because the paint can was closed up, how was I to know he'd lick it right off the walls (needless to say he went back in the room after that). He is dog we rescued and i wondered if maybe his previous owners had done something to him, ect. Anyway,
    babymomma0306

• My dog eats everything too, she too likes bugs and grass clumps, paper, softener sheets, just found out she likes deer poop last wknd. Always have to watch her, and sometimes she's too quick for me. Yesterday she must of ate something bad as she puked 6 times during my lunch hour at home. yuck. But she seems ok today. don't know if it's a deficiency of any kind, just a curious dog, who isn't smart enough to know better. LOL

Minnesotamom

Answer by Minnesotamom at 5:02 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• I posted this as a journal also. If you would like to see it here's the link.

http://www.cafemom.com/journals/read/1434977/My_dog_has_issues_any_advice

puppy

babymomma0306

Answer by babymomma0306 at 9:00 PM on Apr. 1, 2009