Does anyone know a sure-fired remedy for getting rid of head lice?

My daughter was sent home from school with it,and nothing seems to be working! HELP!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:58 PM on Apr. 1, 2009 in General Parenting

• Using the medicated shampoos too much can make them resistant. If you tried the shampoo did you follow the step by step directions? You'll have to wash her hair again a week later and make sure you wash EVERYTHING in your house in hot water. Bedding, stuffed animals. Spray the furniture with lice spray, boil combs and barrettes, throw out old hairties. Comb her hair over and over to get the lice that may have hatched since the last time you washed her hair. The important thing here is to follow through although it's very time consuming. I know how frustrating it can be because my neices kept getting them from their other cousins and they are a B**** to get rid of! Good Luck!
    Anonymous

• Thanks so much! I appreciate the info! Makes perfect sense.
    Anonymous

• Lemon juice, Joy dish detergent with lemon, Orange juice or grapefruit juice all get rid of fleas and they are really hard to kill too. That even kills the eggs. If you have tried the head lice shampoo and it didn't work, you may can try that or try the expensive stuff RID!
    I would Keep trying the head lice shampoo though and spray your house with the lice spray too as well as the carpets, sofas, anything cloth. Vacuume good afterwards. Also wash all bedding and stuffed animals in HOT Water and Dry them on HOT! Do all of this in one day and you should get rid of them and the eggs!
    coke2pep

Answer by coke2pep at 1:38 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• Heres what I did when my older 2 got it when they where younger. They where in the bath and I put Shampoo on there head. Left it on there until about 15 mins. Then I washed out the shampoo. It killed all the lice. You also have to make sure that you pull out all of the nits. Look through all the hair and pull them all out. You don't want them to hatch. Make sure you also wash everything in HOT water.
    Anonymous

• The shampoo doesn't work. drench her hair in mayo, put a shower cap on her head and leave it on all night. The mayo will kill the lice and eggs. When she is bug free spray tea tree oil in her hair a few times a week, it will repel lice.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 3:17 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• Here is the real deal about lice. OTC shampoos don't work. they don't kill the eggs. Call your doctor and tell them that you have tried the store bought stuff and she still has it. Ask them to call in Ovide...stinks to high heaven but you won't have to pick nitts ever. Just put it on let it sit overnight and wash out. It works great.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 7:49 PM on Apr. 1, 2009