How do I help my family?

I just got into a serious relationship, after my husband pasted away we had one beautiful child who is now 9 months.... My boyfriend now has 2 kids a 9 year old girl and a 8 year old son both have different moms.... His son has a little sister who is 4 and michael my boyfriend adores this little girl who isnt his but he doesnt care he still loves her to death.... But the problem there is he show more attention to her then he does to his own.... She could get away with anything and if the other kids are around he punishes them instead of her.... His son tyler has adhd and he is getting in trouble so much at school and michael is trying his hardest because the school is about to send him away and he is only 8 but there tired of dealing with him... I think tylers problem is you can see he is so wanting attention from his dad... but his dad doesnt see that... He is a smart young man.... I just dont know what I can do to help him..

kandist

Asked by kandist at 1:01 PM on Apr. 1, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• you will be fine your family is fine too
    peace423

Answer by peace423 at 2:04 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• This is hard. Maybe your boyfriend is in denial about his son. Maybe you should talk to him. His son is at a vulnerable stage and could be lost in the system if he is not delt with now. It sounds as if his son is trying hard to also reach his dad. Have a hart to hart talk to your boyfriend if that doesn't work then maybe he needs to seek some professional help for him and his son.

iglooislandkids

Answer by iglooislandkids at 9:48 AM on Apr. 2, 2009

• First off, my heart goes out to you and all involved. I say this because I can (kinda) sympathize. My 5yr has ADHD and my hubby has always been stubborn to my advise on how to deal with it. After countless appointments with Dr.'s and reading books, I know I am doing what is right for our son and his development at social/school. But no matter how much I explain it to hubby, he has his own way of parenting! AGH!
    So sounds like you might be in the same boat. All I can say is men have there own way of showing emotions and parenting skills, all you can do is lead him to the right way or have a therapy/ Dr do it for you. And hope it sinks in......
    Good Luck
    Skyler11978

Answer by Skyler11978 at 11:48 AM on Apr. 4, 2009