Is married and swinging the same as married and cheating?

For those who don't know, swinging is "non-monogamous sexual activity, treated much like any other social activity, that can be experienced as a couple." as borrowed from Wikipedia. So swinging is consented to by both parties.

isabellalecour

Asked by isabellalecour at 1:20 PM on Apr. 1, 2009 in Relationships

• I think what consists of cheating is defined by the parties in a marriage, not other people. I think if both people know about what is going on and consent to it, it's not cheating. It may not be for me, but it's not cheating in my book unless there is deceit going on.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 2:42 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• I believe it to be. Once you open that door, nothing is the same.
    Anonymous

• Yep! I think it's disgusting and trashy.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 1:22 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• So you go out hang out with people of the opposite gender, I assume at a bar or club, dance, drink and flirt. I wouldn't consider that cheating if it was consented to, but I would think it could be dangerously close
    Anonymous

• I feel like you just answered your own question. Swinging involves both parties and consent, while cheating does not. I think they are different. Deception is what makes cheating different. I think either is disgusting, but to each their own.
    kboney29

Answer by kboney29 at 1:23 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• No its not cheating because you both know about it. It often becomes cheating though because someone goes behind the spouses back to be with that other person alone. It causes the same distruction as cheating eventually.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 1:23 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• Cheating is done behind your spouses back and swinging your spouse knows about.

Answer by louise2 at 1:24 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• yes its cheating but its cheating that is okay with the other partner
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 1:24 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• Swinging is a voilation of the marriage vows. Consensual or not it destpys the basic trust. I've heard couples say "oh no, It made me trust him more" How much do you really love a person you can sit and watch have sex with someone other than you? Risks of STD's, unwanted pregnancy, jealousy,distrust...just a few of the reasons it is wrong in my opinion.

GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 1:25 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• I think its just plain nasty. I think youre cheating your marriage if you do that. It is not like actual cheating though.
    okmommy08

Answer by okmommy08 at 1:25 PM on Apr. 1, 2009