Do you think my photography is okay? I'm just starting.

Read my newest Journal post to check it out.

RubyRedMomma.

Asked by RubyRedMomma. at 1:29 PM on Apr. 1, 2009 in Hobbies & Crafts

• The pictures are okay....not great though
    Anonymous

• For me, they look a lot like snap shots...great way to remember your family, but nothing that I'd show off in a portfolio...
    Anonymous

• I think you're off to a good start. The first few are a bit over processed for my taste when it comes to children. I think the child should be the focus, they're beautiful in their own right and don't need a bunch of fancy photoshoping done to them. The dog looks like maybe you used a flash? I like the last two though. The second to last has a sort of 70's retro feel to it. And the processing on the last one I think works for it. Overall I'd say that the Photoshopping is more the focus than the actual photos themselves.

It's all just my opinion though. Since they are pics of your family I'd have to say that if you're happy with them then that's all that matters. From an amateur stand point I'd say join a group or two and get some pointers. Have thick skin when asking for C&C. Good C&C will include what you're doing good along with tips on how you can improve.

Hope that helped a little bit ;)
    ShutterBug77

Answer by ShutterBug77 at 4:24 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• BTW - I want to add that I am by no means a Pro! But, I've been in your place. So I'd be happy to point you in a couple different directions if you ever want more info :)
    ShutterBug77

Answer by ShutterBug77 at 4:26 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• I think your photography is beautiful...
    Joqui

Answer by Joqui at 11:52 AM on Apr. 2, 2009

• Your pictures are pretty good. There isn't anything wrong with processing pics to get a look that you are after in my opinion. But I also love a good photo that stands on its own without the glam.

Don't worry about people (especially anons) who say that it looks like snapshots. Some of the most famous images in the world were "just" snapshots. I love candid photography. I really prefer a candid portrait to a posed portrait anyday. It has a vitality that a rigid and posed shot just can't match.

The last image in your journal is composed fine, but you need to position yourself so that the sun isn't glaring down into your eyes. You and your boyfriend both have squinty eyes in that one. Next time, position yourself so that the sun falls from the side, lower in the sky, across your face. You won't have to squint so you will have big beautiful eyes and the side-lighting will look very nice.

Just keep shooting! And have fun.
    casperskitty

Answer by casperskitty at 6:21 PM on Apr. 2, 2009