What do you do when you get to stressed out with your child?

My little girl is always on the go and can throw some major fits no matter where we are. How do I destress without anyone seeing I'm about to lose it?

1lilgirl

Asked by 1lilgirl at 12:30 PM on Jun. 20, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I wish there was a super simple answer to this! I find myself taking lots of deep breaths and counting to 10.

My son is busy and throws big fits on occasion too. We are in the process of using time outs with our son (he is 20 months).

I don't know how helpful this is to you, but it seems to help me a bit.

Good luck.
    kaseysmommy1003

Answer by kaseysmommy1003 at 1:08 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• I have the same problem with my 2 1/2 year old. He can have a "meltdown" anywhere. I have found that if I can calm myself down he will usually follow. They can feel our stress, so the more we "need" them to be good the faster they will act up.
    When he seems out of control it is because he is and at that point he needs me to bring him back down to earth. When he is at his worst is when I try to love him the most, big hugs help alot in calming him. And there are times when sombody needs a time out and that could mean me too, to keep my sanity. Hope that something helps. :)
    NorthCaliMama

Answer by NorthCaliMama at 1:34 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• Take break and have someone else watch your child go to the park, shopping or anything to get out. It is good for you and the child to have a break from each other and there is nothing wrong with it.

If you can't get away put the child in their room until they calm down. They need to know from the start that certain behavior will be tolerated and there are consequences for poor behavior.
    FAHTMOM

Answer by FAHTMOM at 2:00 PM on Jun. 20, 2008