Have you ever had someone break up with you because of your relationship with your family?

This was one of the reasons my ex said he broke up with me for.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:41 PM on Apr. 1, 2009 in Relationships

• It's never happened to me, but I could see how it could happen in some situations. When I read some things on here, sometimes it sounds like people (both men and women) have a really hard time separating themselves from their family of origin and clinging to their nuclear family. Family is great, but when you're an adult, they need to be an extended support system, not connected at the hip.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 1:49 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• yes my babys daddy sumped me mainly because he said my mom was crazy and she is not she was trying to protect me from his stupid ass! Yeah girl I know where your coming from.
    Alysia_Moore

Answer by Alysia_Moore at 1:49 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• Well, if it was because of the close bond I have with my family, I would be thankful. I say I would be thankful because I would be so happy that this worthless person left my life before they had a chance to make it miserable. Anyone worth being in a relationship with would love and support my close relationship with my family. Especially considering when you marry someone, you are a part of a larger family at that point as well. But if it was because of a problem with a family member, I would probably feel the same way. If they are going to let something like another person get in the way, they aren't worth it and they are really doing me a favor in the long run.
    DDry

Answer by DDry at 2:22 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• Well, we're all talking about it from the woman's view - that we're the ones close with our family. But when it's the guy who's "extra" close, we condemn. Take this guy for instance (sort of my extended family)....He's 45. Mother calls him every morning to wake him up so he doesn't have to use an alarm clock. He's a local truck driver, they call each other 4-5 times a day. Usually 2-3 times a week he sleeps at the parents house. He has a beautiful 2800 sf home in an up-scale neighborhood that he had built. I know why he has just entered the very first relationship in his life (that lasted more than 2 weeks).
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 2:36 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• No. But I have broken up with two guys because my family didn't approve.
    Chrissy629

Answer by Chrissy629 at 3:24 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• I left my ex husband not only because he is a dick but because his mom is psycho!!! Yes, if the in laws are bad...it effects the marriage negatively. He was a mama's boy. You marry someone and you marry their family..if you don't get along with the family...screwed
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 6:03 PM on Apr. 1, 2009