what do you do with your kids when you take a shower?

if they are babies or toddlers, where they are?, how long take you to get ready?
I take a shower at nigth, when my husband is at home, otherwise, what can I do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:45 PM on Apr. 1, 2009 in General Parenting

• i try to shower at night, but i rarely get a chance.

naptime is ideal for me....IF i can get my two younger children to sleep. my oldest is 4 and will read peacefully in his room for up to an hour.

a shower takes me about 15 mins.
    fluud7

Answer by fluud7 at 1:51 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• When they were small enough (babies) to be strapped into a seat, I put the seat in the bathroom while I was in the shower. Or maybe they were in bed. Toddlers, well, sometimes I'd make them play in the bathroom while I was there (obviously I childproofed it). Or it did it at night when Daddy was home. Like everything else, everything changes and gets topsy turvy when a little one comes along.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 1:51 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• My little guy is almost 11 months old and if he doesn't shower with me I put him in his bouncy chair or in his playpen till I get out.
    SheriSanchez

Answer by SheriSanchez at 1:52 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• I try to take my showers during nap time but that does not always work. If my boys are awake and I need to shower real fast I put the baby in the play pen with a few toys and i know he is safe. If my toddler is also awake I turn cartoons on in my room (the bathroom is off our bedroom) and I put a baby gate up in the door so he is confined to that room and I can see him if I peak out. He sometimes wonders into the bathroom and knocks on the shower door, but I know they are safe while I shower. Some of my friends put their babies in a bouncer or swing in the bathroom.
    frapanda

Answer by frapanda at 1:52 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• I would take showers at night after my son was asleep in bed. As he grew older and that didn't work so well, he would sit in the bathroom "reading" while I took my shower. It was a great time for peek-a-boo.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 1:59 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• When my 2nd one was born I'd take a shower either while she slept or I'd put her in her bouncer in the bathroom. Now she's 2 and I have a 3 month old. When he sleeps DD & I take a shower. If DD doesn't want to shower with me then I'll set her up to play in the sink while I shower and sneak peeks at her. Otherwise I'll wait until DH is home, that's when I take the longest showers and shave my legs and all that good stuff
    suej27

Answer by suej27 at 2:01 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• My son is 19mos old and he showers with me. If my boyfriend is home he generally watches him so I can take a shower if I need to. On rare occasions I jump in the shower when he's taking a nap and have my robe and monitor in the bathroom with me in case he wakes up.
    Kalcan8

Answer by Kalcan8 at 2:05 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• If they are old enough to sit upright, I let them sit in the bottom of the tub while I shower. Mine are almost 3, 5, and 6 now and they all hang out and watch TV....but more times than not they're in the bathroom tattling on each other for something.....soooooo annoying!
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 2:33 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• Take them in the shower with you. You both get clean at the same time, it saves you time and conserves water.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 2:40 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• I put my son in his crib with the mobile on (it went for about 3 minutes, enough time for me to shower including washing my hair and maybe shaving underarms) when he was a baby and then when he could sit up I'd pop him in his baby bath and let him watch me through the clear shower curtain. Once he was about 2 I'd let him play in his room with the gate up; I'd leave the door ajar so he could come in if he needed me. He's 3.5 now so he gets free run of the house when I'm showering. It only takes me a few minutes and he's mature enough to take care of himself for 15 minutes. I still leave the door slightly ajar for him.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 2:43 PM on Apr. 1, 2009