Why do employers want toknow if you've recieved welfare?

I don't understand why they need to know that. I answered truthfully, but it won't ruin my chances of getting the job will it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:52 PM on Apr. 1, 2009 in Money & Work

• I never heard of this. Is it on an application? (I'm in MA....maybe its different in different states). I know some employers will run a credit check...and I'm still not sure why that is.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 1:58 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• no it wont ruin your chances. my husband was doing online applications and would get so mad when they asked that. He'd say "WTF is all this abbreviations suppose to mean, I don't know what this stuff is."I would do it for him and he'd take his phone with to do applications on the spot so I could explain what is what.lol.
    BubbysMom208

Answer by BubbysMom208 at 1:59 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• I don't understand why it's there. =s.
    Anonymous

• I really do not think they can legally ask you that question!
    lapcounter

Answer by lapcounter at 2:17 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• I do thinkthat is none of their business. But I have herd that some companies are even checking people's credit historys before hiring also. I guess companies feel like the poorer you are the more likely you are to steal money from work or just have to much drama in your life that may affect work. I do think its stupid we all need jobs and money to pay our bills and debts so its stupid when companies want to know about welfare or your credit scores but they are just trying to protect themselves and who they hire also.
    aameliaz

Answer by aameliaz at 2:23 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• I think that may be one of those questions you can decline to answer.
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 2:43 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• OMg, i havn't ran across that yet on any application that i have filled out but it is really none of there business. I don't and havn't ever received it but still. I would probably just put N/a and move one.
    The only reason i can possible think of is if people do receive them, they may try to pay them less so as not to cause them to lose there benefits. But i don't know, i tnink that is dumb to put an an app for employment. Like receiving them is going to affect your work ability.
    Anonymous

• They might get a tax credit for hiring you if you have, or something like that.
    halfpint_ny

Answer by halfpint_ny at 6:56 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• Someone touched on credit checks, I'm not sure if the statistics are the same with welfare recipients. But those who have poor credit tend to be distracted, get harassing phone calls from creditors at work. Both of which lower effectiveness. I'm not saying whether it's rght or wrong, just that in this pick and choose economy an employer is looking for the best deal for their company and their own interests. So if they have 100 applications and need to fill five slots they can afford to be choosey.
    oddfox

Answer by oddfox at 9:55 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• I'm ok with them checking everything. If they are going to pay me to do a job I think its fair to be honest with them and let them know whats going on.
    Some companies ask these questions because they WANT to hire the ppl on assistance cause them getting hired may get them off assistance.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 2:35 PM on Apr. 2, 2009