When they leave a message that says a claim is about to be filed against you..

There was a message left on my voice mail from a "anonymous" caller, that said i needed to call CDS ( i think that was the name it was kind of hard to understand )about a debt claim that is set to be filed against me. But the dummies didn't leave a number . Anyways what kind of claim would it be ? Small claims? I know i have deliquent credit cards, but that is the worst of it. Car and home and things aren't behing. And i have gotten things in the mail about the credit cards but not from anywhere that resembles CDS. So if it is the cc are they talking about small claims court? I know in texas they can't take your home, car , or wages for consumer debt. And if it is small claims, how will i know when it has been filed? Is that where they have to serve you with papers or just send you something in the mail?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:54 PM on Apr. 1, 2009 in Money & Work

• I wouldn't worry about it..Sence they didn't make themselves clear about what they were talking about.

Answer by louise2 at 2:01 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• maybe a bill about to go on your credit? i get those. Mine is SMS. Creditors have all sorts of dumb company names. They are probably just putting it on your credit report. You will probably get something in the mail. DO NOT make a payment over the phone til you know what it is for. I always ask them to send me another statement in the mail.
    BubbysMom208

Answer by BubbysMom208 at 2:06 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• It's a scam. There was a segment on the news about this 2 weeks ago. Ignore it. If it was a small claims case then they would send an officer to your door to serve you papers, they don't call you home and warn you first! LOL If you happen to answer the phone, ask them who they are, NEVER say YES or any other word that would be agreeable and don't say your name. You can say something like "You may call me ma'am. If you can't explain what this call is about I will report this call to the police department. Oh and I forgot I'm supposed to tell you this call is being recorded, do you understand? Because we can't go any further until you understand. And I'll need to verify your contact information before we can go any further. Do you understand?" Nothing makes scammers hang up quickly like turning the tables.
    Works4Mom.com

Answer by Works4Mom.com at 2:25 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• I heard that too. And even with a credit card, they can't do anything to you. The credit card company will themselves file a judgement and give you a court date. When you go just be sure you have what comes in and what goes out. The judge just threw out my friends case b/c she was upside down!
    southernstyle88

Answer by southernstyle88 at 2:58 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• SCAM. Ignore it.
    PSMother

Answer by PSMother at 4:36 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• If you are delinquent in your credit card payments, then your credit card company has likely contracted with a collection agency to contact you about getting payment (the credit card company is tired of tried to do it themselves).

A friend of mine had this happen to him, and they would call and leave messages at all hours of the day and night, but wouldn't leave a name or phone number--they'll call repeatedly, they don't want you calling them--if they do, it'll be a cryptic message. Be prepared though, once they get you on the phone, they will want you to settle the debt IN FULL immediately, or take you to court.

To prove it is not a scam, the collection agency will know your credit card number, the name of the credit card you are delinquent on, your name and social security number, the amount you owe, and the last payment you made.

Since you admit to being delinquent, I am thinking it is NOT a scam.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 5:13 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• Look for legal firms that specialize in credit card laws, seek free consultation, and know your rights. Do not ignore any summons or court dates (if set) or judge could rule in creditor/collector's favor by default.
    nuwave06

Answer by nuwave06 at 10:36 PM on Apr. 1, 2009