Ok can some mom's please help me! I know they say kids can't have ADD or ADHD at this age and I don't believe in medication, but I don't know what else to do. Me and my hubby both had adhd when we were younger, I don't know if it is hareditary or not. But anyway, I don't believe in meds, but I seriously don't know what else to do.

So maybe someone can help me out. She like never stops (oh she is going to be 4 the 29th by the way). She can't be quiet, she can't play quiet, she fights with her 15 month old sister all day long. I can't even take her out in public because she is soooo bad. I went to an OB app. on Monday and she was like really bad there running around we went to the store after that and she was nocking things down. I have to put her in a cart because she is so bad. She is just very very very very very and when I say that I mean VERY HYPER. AndI seriously do not know what else to do. No disipline what so ever is working with her. I take things away she likes do do, or put her in time out or I even spank her at times and nothing works. I send her to her room doesn't work. Noone wants to watch my kids because she is so bad. Help me on what I can do that will work.

mommy5409

Asked by mommy5409 at 2:04 PM on Apr. 1, 2009 in General Parenting

• She can be diagnosed. It is hereditary. It is not something that is outgrown, it is something one can learn to control.

Medication should always be a last resort...but in some cases it is necessary.

And the whole "cutting out the sugar" thing...Keep in mind that the treatment for ADHD is giving medication that would 'rev up" the typical kid. Sugar, caffeine or anything else that would usually cause some hyperactivity will calm a kid with ADHD.

Modifying diets works for some kids.

OT works for some kids.

Medications are needed for some.
    Anonymous

• DISCIPLINE. Don't be afraid to be 'mean'. And cut sugar out of her diet.
    SarahColbert

Answer by SarahColbert at 2:13 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• I would cut sugar and processed foods out of her diet. This means no canned, boxed, or frozen foods as much as possible. Plenty of fresh fruits and veggies (frozen fruits/veggies are the next best thing), meat if you eat it. Stay away from canned foods as much as possible--usually massive amounts of salt are in canned foods to preserve them. If you can afford organic anything, buy it.

A lot of parents have noticed positive results after they cut Red Dye 40 out of their children's diets. I highly recommend reading your labels and getting to know what they mean!

Plenty of one on one interaction. Plenty of fresh air and play time. And I would also get DD into some sort of counseling. Parents often notice things about their children through play counseling--not sure of the exact term for it, but its worth loking into! HTH mama and good luck!
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 2:31 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• Look at the environment - home, school, activities, diet. Is she getting a lot of physical play time and touch? Is the TV on or is she watching more than an hour a day? Is she eating a lot of refined foods (white sugar, white flour, etc...)? Look into the Feingold diet - there are other mom's here who have said it works. Cut out artificial colors, especially FD&C red #40, preservatives and anything artificial. Make sure she's not consuming caffeine, either (chocolate, soda, whatever). Journal her behavior to find clues. Find the right discipline that works with her. If she's loud, have everyone whisper. Practice behavior you want her to have. Give her specific things to do that will keep her hands busy when you're out - do research on sensory therapy - make sure she's getting enough physical sensory input, whether holding her or providing tactile objects for her to touch/play with. Good luck!
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 2:31 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• they can be diagnosed at that age...my step son was 3 whenn  he was diagnosed...but we had to wait until he was 4 for medication..and I am not a medicating mom eiother...but I broke down in tears the first night he was on his Ritalin and he actually was SITTING DOWN to watch tv...this child could not stop moving, even when he was watching tv he would pace, or bounce...and we tried everything before with him, because I work in the pharmecutical industry and I am a definate believer in the idea children are over medicated...but this little guy was not able to control himself...we are organic, vegetarian, wehole foods people, and we modified his diet, made sure he got plenty of physical activity, but there were other factores that indicated adhd.. I encourage you to take her to a psychiatrist...if you need more details, please pm me!!

shivasgirl

Answer by shivasgirl at 2:47 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• please take a look at www.sharethecause.com/hastily/Unseen-Killers  and message me for more info.  I believe this will help.  It is all natural.  Mary

jmcan

Answer by jmcan at 4:55 PM on Apr. 1, 2009