im looking for kid friendly recipes

my oldest is a real picky eater i recently started making her lunches that she likes like corn on the cob and sliced grapes with tomatoes and thick turkey breast with cravey but i cantseem to get her into dinner she only likes food colored mashed potatoes any ideas on what to make a 3 yr old for dinner?

JEDDHAZEN

Asked by JEDDHAZEN at 2:05 PM on Apr. 1, 2009 in Food & Drink

• Go with finger foods. Make some chicken nuggets, boil up some baby carrots and green beans just until done, not mushy and serve with ranch dressing, puree some veggies and add to jar pasta sauce...she'll never know, try sweet potato fries instead of regular fries, cut apples up like french fries, cut her sandwiches with cookie cutters....if I think of anything else, I'll post again. Here are some tips I used...remember that a portion for a 3 year old is only about 3 tablespoons, so she might be eating enough...it just doesn't look like it. Make her try 1 bite of everything on her plate, she doesn't know she doesn't like it until she's at least tried it. Try to minimize making seperate meals for her. Instead, if she has at least tried everyhting on her plate, then you can offer her something else...just don't automatically make a seperate meal for her. Good luck!
    Elicia35

Answer by Elicia35 at 4:21 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• Well, we always feed our kids what we're eating, and if they don't want it, they don't have to eat - they know breakfast is coming the next morning. IMHO, making separate meals is too much work, and you run the risk of having an overly picky child. I did the same thing, and now my five year old won't eat hardly ANYTHING healthy. Now, she just eats hardly anything, LOL. But she's learned that if she wants to eat, she'd better at least try it now. She has actually come to love some things she previously hated such as steak, mashed potatoes, and roasted zucchini.
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 3:04 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• I'd go with finger foods like Elicia35 said. I tried the make my picky eater eat what we ate it was just months of wasted food that he still didn't eat. He's 10 now and still only eats certian things. I do make sure he gets his veggies and protien. But sometimes you have to pick your battles.

sgrbear

Answer by sgrbear at 6:06 PM on Apr. 1, 2009