My 5 week old is choking on mucus

I'm waiting for MD appointment, in the meantime, I'm wondering if this has happened to any of you. My baby since she was born has had some (loose) mucus rattling it seems like in the sinus area way in the back I'm assuming because I can't see any mucus in her nose when I try to suction it. Well, last night it got so bad that she couldn't swallow the mucus and I couldn't suction it so she ended up vomiting from the gagging. The sound is a rattling sound almost "piggy" like and I just want to know if this has happened to anyone. And to those who say to use saline drops, do these drops bring out the unseen mucus so that's easier to suction?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:05 PM on Apr. 1, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I found that 'Little Noses' worked best for me. It comes with an aspirator that is actually useable and also get a humidifier. It will help clear him out.
    prettylilrae

Answer by prettylilrae at 2:17 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• Happened to baby Harmony, they say its normal cuz they are getting used to everything
    I use saline drops and it helps but doesn't seem to get very better
    momma2harmony

Answer by momma2harmony at 2:26 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• Do you use the aspirator in her mouth or just her nose? I always had to stick it in the back of my sons mouth to suck out the mucus in his throat.
    Anonymous

• The saline drops will make the thick mucus more liquidy so that it can be suctioned out. i would get your baby to the doc as soon as you can. But you can use a cool mist humidifer that will help.
    ashtonjames

Answer by ashtonjames at 2:46 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• It happened to my second child. Not too bad but it was noticeable.
    MommaM2

Answer by MommaM2 at 4:17 PM on Apr. 1, 2009