What did you get your baby for their 1st birthday? I need your input!

So my son will be a year old in just over a month, we have no idea what to get him! Well we do, we were thinking a wagon and filling it with some goodies. And I don't want to hear "don't go all out for his 1st birthday, he wont even remember" Weve been getting a lot of that from DH's mom, so annoying to be honest with you! I would love to know what you got your baby on his/her first Birthday! Thanks a bunch! We have been thinking a puppy? Do you think he's too young, Ofcourse we pay,care and take care of the puppy, it would just be for him to play with, Thanks! :)

Miss.KelliAdams

Asked by Miss.KelliAdams at 2:14 PM on Apr. 1, 2009 in Holidays

• So I've already got my son's 1st birthday party planned, and he's not even here yet!

I want to invite all our friends and their children, 4 of which will only be a few months difference in age, roll out some big white paper on the back porch, put 'em in their diapers and let them play! I've figured out too that they'll all have to hose off, and for that I've planned a kiddie pool to go under the slide on our little swingset. Once the paper has dried, I'm going to cut out pieces of the art and frame them, one for my son's room, and one for each of the parents as well! That will make a fun little favor!

As for his gifts... I'm not sure. I'm pretty sure Daddy (DH) will be investing in a horse for him soon so that it's ready to be ridden when he can hold himself up. I know DH wants to take him fishing too... maybe a Spiderman fishing pole and some goodies... lol!
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 12:58 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• My son has been around dogs his whole life, a golden retriever and a great dane. He loves them. Puppies can be a little rough with little people, an older dog may be a better option, plus it would already be housetrained. If you get a dog or puppy make sure that it is a very tolerant breed. Labs are without a doubt the best breed for a family, due to the fact that they are the most tolerant of being stepped on, laid on, and pulled on.
    Anonymous

• A puppy would be great for a 3rd birthday in my opinion. And for my sons 1st we did not have a lot of money so we gave him a small curious george themed party and found a curious george doll that was about 13 inches tall that we used for the table centerpiece and that was his gift and of course the party!
    Rebecca727

Answer by Rebecca727 at 2:18 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• I have two small dogs and my 13 month DD loves them, I got her DD for her first birthday a ball pit, step 2 buggy, some v-tech toys. The rest was girl stuff so I won't list those. But she loves her ball pit and the step 2 buggy.
    Anonymous

• I am not sure about the puppy thing. We already had two dogs when we brought him home and while we keep them separated when they are unsupervised, they get along great and he absolutely LOVES them! If you do get a puppy, please do your research on best types of breed and make sure you teach him to be gentle.

As far as gifts, my son's birthday is 4 days before Christmas so it was a tough one. He got clothes (more for me than him), books because he loves them and toys. I think I got him some finger paints and floor paper as well. At this point, get him whatever you need over the next year because he is going to have fun just opening the presents. My son was really more interested in pulling the paper off and playing with the empty boxes.

Have fun and just enjoy the time and take a ton of pics!!
    have2travel

Answer by have2travel at 2:20 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• I like your wagon idea. To be honest, I went with the approach of not going all out since they don't remember, but I am not here to tell you that, just using that to say I can't say what I got my son! Since its that time of year, I'm sure there are tons of summer toys that you could get him. Kiddie pools (nice ones, not just the basic plastic one!), ride on toys, play equpment like slides or climbing playhouse things, or even a small swingset if you have outdoor space. I'd stay away from the puppy idea though, way too much work to do aong with chasing a toddler! Maybe a fish or something, then he could help feed it if you really want to get him a pet.
    chillemi78

Answer by chillemi78 at 2:24 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• My son is now 9. We had a nice family party. The gift we got him won't be opened for another 9 years. us and family made him a time capsule box. We all put in things about 2000. Magazines, receipts, letters to him as a one year old. My friend added a playboy ha ha. We don't really know what is in there only from what was on the video. He knows about it and can't wait to open it. We did it for our daughters too. It will be so fun to open in 9 years.
    Ducky5

Answer by Ducky5 at 4:24 AM on Apr. 2, 2009

• If you are going to get a puppy, I recommend you do research to find out which ones are best for kids and families. This is a great website for telling you which dogs are good with kids and not good with kids, and it also goes into further description about each type of dog, as well as photos also.

For both our boys first birthdays we went low-key, my oldest one just got some bath toys and a few outdoor toys. My younger son got just a few smaller indoor toys since his birthday was 4 days before Christmas. For my daughter, who is the y oungest, we had a pool party with all our friends and neighbors. We didn't buy her a whole lot because all our friends and neighbors and grandma spoiled her with tons of toys. Buy him something he will have fun with, something you can play with him also. That is what is most important to them is spending time doing fun stuff with you.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 2:59 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• forgot to add fingerpaints in there!!!

(dyed pudding works well, I hear!)
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 1:00 PM on Apr. 3, 2009