Son's long time friend is a bad influence, how do I deal with this?

My son recently moved in with his friend [ since 6th grade]. This kid is SO negative, now I'm seeing the influence on my son's attitude too.
An example of the stuff this friend is posting on FB all the time & is a pretty fair description of this kids personality/character in general.
"To breathe one more breath is nothing more than a chance, Going around and around seeming as if im in a trance,"
"It's funny how the words of a child can be simple but the thought there is so meaningful, it makes me wonder what i would say to me in the eyes of another?"
"seems like another night of being pissed off "

It's like these kids think they have it all figured out and that their 'wisdom' is real - yet their parents are 'stupid' in their eyes. This crap is making me roll my eyes like a 13 year old myself. I felt like IMing him & saying.... "you don't know near as much as you think you do". My son is starting act like this too. ??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:19 PM on Apr. 1, 2009 in Adult Children (18+)

• Its just a phase. as weird as it seems.
    Anonymous

• Sad thing is your son is now an adult. You can voice your opinion about your sons friend but at that age they know everything, so most likley it wont change. Your son is probably going to have to go through some bad stuff to see that his wise mom was right. I wouldnt Im your sons friend that would probably push your son away from you wondering why youre on his fb anyway. Sometimes its hard to let go Im sure.
    okmommy08

Answer by okmommy08 at 2:22 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• im going to guess your son is over 18 since you posted in the 18+ section and i say let it be..he'll figure out on his own whats good and not for him..we all have to find out certain things on our own
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 2:23 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• OP here . What's hilarious about this is that I deleted both my son and this friend from my myspace.... they both send requests back saying (Mom? why did you delete me?) And on FB? They have the choice to tag my name before sending postings to their "notes". So they send the stuff to me?? What's up with that? Like this morning, my son comment on my FB and all it said (which pissed me off because of languatge) was "Fu@k Llamas". Not only had I not said anything about llamas, my comment today was "Thank goodness Walgreens is open 24 hours.... benedryl take me away"..... Not only was his comment ugly, it made no sense. I'm having a hard time transitioning into being a parent of an un-adult adult child. This is weird.
    Anonymous

• Get a time consuming hobby momma. So you can stay busy while he is being a un adult child then when he gets back to being normal you can be there.
    okmommy08

Answer by okmommy08 at 3:14 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• A lot of times they copy lyrics from music. I try not to blame the friends, must son makes his own choices.
    Anonymous

• There's nothing you can do. Your son is old enough to make his own choices. About the best you can hope for is that he will see for himself what he's chosen to accept.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 12:55 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• ask him if he thinks he should really be around him, ask him does he see the difference in himself.
    lawla

Answer by lawla at 7:36 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• I remember being in this phase lol. The more my mom pushed for me to drop my friends, the angrier I got at her and more I lovedmy friends. He's probably fine, and really does know everything about everything. Give it a few years and he'll forget all that he "knows" lol. It just sounds like poetry (trying to win girls perhaps?) or as a pp said, song lyrics.
    Anonymous