How do I introduce a two year old step-daughter to the new baby?

I have a two year old step-daughter that is an only child. We only get her on the weekends and I've tried to introduce her to the new baby and she doesn't like it. She tries to kick and hit my belly whenever we try to get her used to the idea of a baby sister. She is very pampered as she is the first girl in my husbands family for 3 generations. So I'm not sure how she will react with having to share the spotlight. As of right now, she hates sharing. I want her to come visit the new baby when she is born, but she probably come see her at home. I don't want her to feel hurt, betrayed, or that her daddy has replaced her. How do we handle this situation?

rachellucille88

Asked by rachellucille88 at 2:25 PM on Apr. 1, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Here are some things we did that helped my kids adjust. I know it is a little different because she is not there full time, but it might help. We read books about kids who had new siblings. In a lot of the stories, the new big sibling is jealous but learns to like the baby after all. Some favorites were "Peter's Chair" "Darcy and Gran Don't Like Babies" and "Julius, Baby of the World". We practiced how to touch (and how not to touch) and how to take care of babies with a baby doll. I've heard of other parents getting a present from the baby for the big sis, maybe if the baby brought her a present and it was her own baby doll to take care of?

Lastly I would just suggest don't force it. If she's still acting aggressive about it, don't push her to interact with the baby. Let her take it on her own terms. Create opportunities like, "Look the baby is looking at you, say hi!" etc, but don't make her feel pressured.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 2:32 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• YOU JUST INTRODUCE THEM.
    THAT LIL GIRL MAY NOT BE RELATED TO YOU.
    BUT THE NEW BABY IS HER REAL SIBLING
    AND SHE WILL LOVE THE BABY BECAUSE
    ITS HER OWN.
    I THINK ITS A SILLY QUESTION. SIBLINGS
    ARE AS NATURAL AS DAY AND NIGHT.
    DO YOU FEEL FUNNY ABOUT THE SITUATION?
    EVEN IF SHE DOESN'T LIKE THE BABY AND
    THERE IS SOME RIVALRY (AS SIBLINGS
    SOMETIMES DO) SHE'LL STILL LOVE THE
    BABY AND THEY WILL HAVE THEIR OWN
    RELATIONSHIP.
    WHAT ELSE CAN YOU DO? FUSE A BOND?
    EVERYTHING WILL BE FINE, DONT WORRY.
    bronxcouture

Answer by bronxcouture at 2:39 PM on Apr. 1, 2009