In concern to an epideral...

Is it better to get an epideral or not? If so does it hurt to get one? How bad does it hurt to not get one?

This is my first pregnancy, and I am way way scared, I don't think I can give birth so I'm tryin to find out as much as possible.

kjckymnstr

Asked by kjckymnstr at 2:34 PM on Apr. 1, 2009 in Pregnancy

• i had an epidural but it did not work. when they stuck me, it didn't hurt that bad, it was just uncomfortable....since it didn't work, i had my daughter naturally & to be honest,it didn't hurt that bad either.... it jsut felt really hot "down there". i'm not trying to scare you about the epidural not working, i just have really bad arthritis in my back & i don't think he hit the right spot b/c all of the damage in my back... good luck. either way, you'll do fine
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 2:37 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• I was terrified of needles, and of pain! I opted for an epidural! And by the time you are ready for it you don't even feel it. I promise. I just remember the anesthesiologist coming in with his tray, and I had to lean over and be very still while he put it in...took less than 2 minutes! Good Luck and don't be scared it will all work out in the end!
    Rebecca727

Answer by Rebecca727 at 2:38 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• I dont remember the process of getting the epidural hurting at all. I think the most I felt was the first shot they give you to numb the skin for the epidural. And The epi is soooooooo worth it if you are not so good with pain.lol
    Kbmancine

Answer by Kbmancine at 2:38 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• with my son I had an epidural - it was not painful to get put in. It took away all the pain and was a great experience. With my daughter I went all natural. It was painful, but I think if i have another I will try my hardest to go natural again. To me it just seemed like i was up and at 'em a whole lot faster after giving natural birth.
    onyourterms

Answer by onyourterms at 2:41 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• the only thing I HATED about the epidural was feeling that cold liquid go into my spine uuuuugh! It made my toes curl!
    Anonymous

• I didn't have one either time, and it just wasn't that bad.
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 2:48 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• The hardest part (for me anyway) with getting the epidural was having to stay still while having contractions as they were putting the needle in. But no, you don't notice any pain from it at all really, the pain from the contractions is just much more overwhelming :P The pain from an epi will be the LAST thing on your mind.
    SandraB383

Answer by SandraB383 at 2:48 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• i did it both ways and it hurts more to deliever without it then it did to actually get it. Also if you tear you are still nice and numb for the repair... Had i made it to the hospitlal in time i would have had the epi for both but... at least i have perspective now lol
    mom-x-2

Answer by mom-x-2 at 2:53 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• I didn't have my epidural until I was nine cm. I went through so much pain. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be though. The only reason I got one was because I was scared something would go wrong, and I didn't want to have to deal with pain on top of more stress. Since my contractions were so strong I didn't even feel them doing it. The longer you wait the better. Just keep with the pain till you absolutely can NOT take it anymore. Then get it. It works. Good luck and congrats =]
    mommykayti

Answer by mommykayti at 2:55 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• Look into the risks and side effects. The chances of it causing a big problem are low, but I still decided not to take risks with my babies' births. I was terrified about how bad it would hurt going into it the first time, but when it was over, I was like, "that's it?!" It did hurt, there was about a half hour of transition labor that hurt pretty bad, but I have seriously had migraines that hurt worse and lasted longer. I didn't find childbirth to be all that bad. I've had 3 births without epidural and won't be having one for this baby either.

riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 2:56 PM on Apr. 1, 2009