Is misscarriage common in the second trimester? I had one at 3 weeks, Lucky to say I am now 12 weeks preg. going into my 2nd tri. & can't enjoy it & keep thinking this one isn't going to make it either : (

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:44 PM on Apr. 1, 2009 in Pregnancy

• The first trimester is the danger zone. If you are going to miscarry it is very likely it will happen before the 13th week of pregnancy. I also read that once you hear the heartbeat that baby is basically there to stay...unless you have some other health related problem. Something like 3% of miscarriages occur after week 13 so I think the odds are in your favor. One common reason to miscarry in the 2nd trimester is having an incompetent cervix which basically means your cervix is too short and opens prematurely because it cannot hold the weight of the baby. My doctor checked me for this and verified that my cervix was long enough and I shouldn't have a problem, so maybe you can ask your doc that question if you are worried about that. Otherwise try to relax and enjoy the fact that you made it through the scariest time of pregnancy! Feel lucky...many women never make it as far as you have.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 3:27 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• How did you know that you had one at 3 weeks?

Sorry-I don't understand-I, too, had a mc at 11 weeks and when I got pregnant again I couldn't shake the thought. I think that it is something that will always cross your mind once you've been through it.

Stay healthy-relax. Good luck to you.
    Anonymous

• No not so comon as the first. You should be able to breathe easy (if that is possible, I have had them to and am a nervous wreck during pregnancy)
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 2:49 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• I went through the same thing. My doctor told me that is you have a heartbeat the percentage drops drastically and that if you make it past 10 weeks you have a very slim chance of having a miscarriage. I understand how you feel. Try to stay positive. Good luck!
    Rebecca727

Answer by Rebecca727 at 2:49 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• I wouldn't worry about it. I had 2 and both were before the 12th week. I also have 2 healthy kids:)

Have you heard your baby's heartbeat, or seen it on a sonogram? That made me relax a lot more! You can also get one of those things at the store to listen to the heartbeat at home ( you have to be like 5 months to hear it though).

Good Luck!
    southernstyle88

Answer by southernstyle88 at 2:51 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• I went for a bllod test at 3 weeks & they saw my HCG levels were not doubling (it wasn't growing) so My doctor told me within that week I would misscarry
    Anonymous

• The risk is VERY low if you have a confirmed heartbeat. We used fertility drugs & got pregnant. I miscarried, due to low progesterone. Everyone processes that loss differently. For us it was devastating. I did not even want to try again. Four weeks later I got pregnant, without fertility drugs & started using progesterone immediately. We did not celebrate. We did not get excited. We didn't even tell people until I was nearly 5 months. I did not talk to my baby like I did the first.. I cannot tell you how much I regret that. My daughter was born May 3, 3006. She is such a joy and so loved and cherished. My big regret is the joy that we robbed ourselves of during my pregnancy with her. There was nothing we could do to prevent a miscarriage, nothing we could do to protect our hearts, no matter how much we tried. We were so fearful of something that never happened. I would do things differently next time.
    kara_g.

Answer by kara_g. at 3:05 PM on Apr. 1, 2009