Best way to make friends on here in my area?

So, I'm totally shy. Another reason I ask and answer everything anonymously. I have an 8 month old and no friends. I had a lot of friends, but pretty much have drifted apart from them since I had a baby. All they still want to do is party and never just wants to stay in and play board games or scrapbook, ect. They can't understand the fact that my DD goes to bed at 7:30, so we can't go get dinner with them at 7 or 8. So, they gave up on us. I see there are women in my area with babies the same age and I would love to be friends with them, so what's the best way to go about trying to be friends with them without feeling embarrassed?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:44 PM on Apr. 1, 2009 in Relationships

• Maybe join a church in your area. You could join a mother's group or something at your church. Maybe even volunteer in the nursery. Most churches have a lot of groups that meet regularly and you could meet people that way. You could volunteer at the church or school. You don't always have to be a parent at a school to volunteer. Is there a group of women on here that is from your area? I am in a group that has over 100 people in my area and I am now good friends with a few of them.
    DDry

Answer by DDry at 3:02 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• Does your area have a program called Parent's As Teachers? They have one here and they have play dates once a week, that is a great way to meet moms. If you scrapbook you might find out if there is a store near you that does crops another good way to meet moms. Hope this helps!
    lapcounter

Answer by lapcounter at 3:13 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• Do you have a mom/baby group in your area? If you are a member of church ask your pastor for information on mom groups- or as one said volunteer in the nursery. What about going up and saying Hi to one of the moms or asking a question about her child? Babies are a great way to break the ice-- who can resist peeking and commenting on a cute baby!! Do you have a Family Resouce Center, First Call for Help (information and referral), United Way, or a Lutheran Social Services in your area? Alot of times they have programs for moms, or can give you a referal to a mom group. Good luck!!
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 9:12 AM on Apr. 2, 2009