can you test a toddler's hearing?

I'm really starting to think my son is going deaf. I have to yell to get a reaction from him when I tell him to stop or come to me. how old do they have to be to be tested?

MythicMMM

Asked by MythicMMM at 2:59 PM on Apr. 1, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• at his age they would do a few different tests first they would do a tampanagram witch tests the fluid in the ear drums (the most simple test and they have it at most clinics), but if that showed no problems it would be a test with an audi/ent and those tests suck. Basicly they have the kid listen to different sounds and "put the block in the bucket: when they hear the sound if he is anything like most toddlers he will hate that test and they will have to do it a few times to get conclusive results. The next step is the ABR your child has to be sadated for this test, but it finds the hearing loss to the decibel. My DD did all those tests and she was such a pill we had to do the ABR, but I was so glad we did. Is he talking at a 2 year old level? has he had any high grade fevers or recurrent ear infections? any q's just pm I'm an old pro at this Ali
    Fordmomma

Answer by Fordmomma at 3:15 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• You can get them tested. Call the pediatrician's office. If they don't do it there, they will refer you to someone (which you may need anyways for insurance) Good luck!
    Glowing4Caleb

Answer by Glowing4Caleb at 3:13 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• They can be tested at any age.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 3:16 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• you can also have him tested through the school district as well. That's what I did and they had my son go into this sound proof room and have him hear all kinds of sounds. I think he was like 4 1/2 at that time but still I think they can test at any age. You might want to call the school district. How old is your son?
    sunflowerfreak

Answer by sunflowerfreak at 3:35 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• Yes you can. In fact, they do a hearing test at the hospital. My dd had hers texted when we took her to ENT. Hubby took her around a year. He said the made noises in a speaker hanging on either side of the room. If she looked at the correct speaker/direction, a teddy bear would light up and move.
    Anonymous

• THEY GET TESTED WHEN THEY ARE BORN AND CAN GET TESTED ANYTIME AFTER THAT.

Answer by older at 4:33 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• Certainly they can be tested. My daughter was tested in the hospital as a newborn.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:56 PM on Apr. 1, 2009