Did anyone have twins and not use the epidural?

I had two natural births with each of my girls and the only really uncomfortable part was the cleaning out of the uterus at the end! I dont think i could take the Dr. cleaning out the mess from two without any painkillers!Any suggestions?

morelove81

Asked by morelove81 at 2:59 PM on Apr. 1, 2009 in Pregnancy

• The doctor shouldn't have to clean out your uterus. The body will do it naturally on its own. I don't really understand what people mean when they say that the doctor cleans out the uterus. There is no reason for something like that. Is it like a D&C to remove the placenta? If so, it is healthier and safer to wait for the placenta to detach and remove on its own.
    Anonymous

• I had a natural birth with my son & will with future kids...I would push for that even if it were twins. Not sure why they would be cleaning--unless it was D&C. I agree, it's safer to let your body do it itself.
    RugersMommy06

Answer by RugersMommy06 at 3:21 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• Depends on how the babies are at the time of delivery..how they are positioned. Good luck
    Anonymous

• No the Dr. acutually reached in with her hands! She pushed really hard on my stomach and then reached in with both hands and pulled stuff out! Afterwards it was nice not to have a lot of blood and stuff coming out but it was very painful. I switched Dr.s for my next one a year later because of this and she pushed on my stomach too but didnt clean out as much.Im back to my first Dr. now because the one i swithched to is like 37 weeks pregnant and not working now. I did tell her that was the reason for my switching dr.s but now im really going to tell her i dont want it done again! I thought everyone had this done!
    morelove81

Answer by morelove81 at 3:45 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• yeah, I would definitely not allow that to be done. Do your research and be informed. Are you planning a vaginal delivery for your twins?
    reflect1light

Answer by reflect1light at 4:38 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• I already told my Dr. that i plan on going the full 40 weeks and having them naturally. I asked her about the problems that could occur if the second one flips in delivery after the first was born.Thats when she told me a vaginal is totally possible especially if i was pushing for it.
    After each of my deliveries i was able to shower and change as soon as i got back to my room so both ways i was fine after i just dont want to go thru the extra pain if i dont have too!
    morelove81

Answer by morelove81 at 4:51 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• Nice! I talked to a midwife about twins and she said that often she finds that after the first is delivered, the second hangs out because all the sudden s/he has all this room. So don't let your doc rush you too much with that. :) I would definitely keep gathering information and make sure you have someone with you that can advocate for you if needed.
    reflect1light

Answer by reflect1light at 5:31 PM on Apr. 1, 2009