• In the Spotlight:

Breastfeeding...

I wanted to pump ALL the time so I won't have to make the baby change from nipple to bottle all the timeand visa versa, but I have had so so so many people tell me it won't work, I'll dry up, I won't get enough milk blah blah blah.... and that I would have to do both which is what I wanted to avoid that.
What ya'lls opinion?

kjckymnstr

Asked by kjckymnstr at 3:12 PM on Apr. 1, 2009 in Pregnancy

• It is actually easier for most women to get their milk supply well established first, and then begin pumping about two weeks before returning to work. This gives you the first few vital weeks to get breastfeeding off to a great start, and then a couple weeks for you to get used to pumping and the baby to get used to artificial nipples or other feeding method. Continuing to breastfeed when you are with baby, and having others give him bottles of your expressed milk when you are away is something that works well for many women!
    If you will be pumping enough for an 8-hour workday or more, you really need a great pump. You can rent a hospital-grade pump from the hospital or from WIC.
    There are lots of ways to increase low supply, so don't be discouraged by bad information. Educate yourself on the normal course of things, and find a support group like LLL where you can get encouragement and ideas, even if you choose to EP.
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 7:10 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• I think it sounds extremely time consuming to pump exclusively.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 3:16 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• I think as long as you are eatting correctly and your body is producing pumping would work. It is supply and demand, I don't think your body cares if it is a babys mouth or a pump
    rememberm3alway

Answer by rememberm3alway at 3:18 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• A pump isn't as effective or as comfortable as nursing a baby. Be prepared for a long road ahead.
    Anonymous