• In the Spotlight:

when bathing your baby

do you try to avoid getting water in the ears when washing there hair? Like when pouring the cup or squeexing the rag, do you try not to let it go in the ears. I am afraid it will give them an ear ache, if you don't get it all out. On like an 9 month old.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:14 PM on Apr. 1, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• q tip them
    Anonymous

• I always try and avoid water in the ears. For some reason, especially with children, it causes ear infections. I wash the body normally, but take a damp rag for her hair and wet it as much as possible then wash and rinse as best without getting it in her ears. I would rather my child not have the cleanest hair in the world then get an earache.
    mirandagraham

Answer by mirandagraham at 3:18 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• I'm with you, I always tried to avoid the ears.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 3:18 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• I never had an issue with the ears. My son has always showered with me, I didn't have a tub when I first brought him home and I don't feel in control when using a tub I worry about them sliping and stuff. But using a qtip seems like a good way to get the water out
    rememberm3alway

Answer by rememberm3alway at 3:20 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• I dump the water right over my daughter's head. She used to like it...these days not so much. (11 mo.) If you do dump the water over their head, just make a C shape with your hand and cup it over the ear. Then dump towards that ear...then switch hands/ears and do the other side. This will prevent the water from flowing into the ear, but you'll still get a good rinse.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 3:41 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• Emi dunks her head under water. I don't worry about it.
    Arisce

Answer by Arisce at 1:12 AM on Apr. 2, 2009