suggestions in dealing with 3yr old who cries and insist on being held in every new situation

This includes a person he is not familiar with coming into the home. Sees agrandmother every month or so but will not have any thing to do with her

reemccarthy

Asked by reemccarthy at 12:30 PM on Jun. 20, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I used to have the same problem with my (now) 4yr old...I started re-directing him and giving him choices, if he wanted to be picked up, I would grab a toy or a book and distract him with that, either sitting on a sofa "next" to him or at the table. Eventually he figured out that I was not "always" going to pick him up. Speak cleary and tell your child there is no need for crying and re-direct him/her to do something else (distracting with toys and books or something they like is a good start-it worked for me) Good luck!!
    natcia

Answer by natcia at 12:45 PM on Jun. 20, 2008