home from school

What kind of things do you do with your 5 year old when he is not in school?

walic8

Asked by walic8 at 3:18 PM on Apr. 1, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I bought some crayola air dry clay. My kids are busy for hours with that stuff. It's not bad to clean up and they make some pretty nifty stuff. I also love Oriental Trading. I buy journals, piggy banks, craft sticks, whatever I think they might like. And they have these markers for coloring on the ceramics that are not nearly as messy as paint (although the 6 year old has managed to make a bit of a mess with them still....don't forget the newspapers!). The kids love to decorate it all. And the extra banks (since you have to buy them in a set of 12) make for some neat gifts for their cousins.
    southenrmunchkn

Answer by southenrmunchkn at 3:29 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• I would teach him how to play chess:-) It is really good for the brain--it helps with critical thinking. My boys loved it and some days that is what we did for math---they were 4 and 6 when they started playing. They really enjoyed the "military" aspect of it:-)

Ronnie80

Answer by Ronnie80 at 3:32 PM on Apr. 1, 2009