Do any step mom's have step kids that still wont accept them?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:20 PM on Apr. 1, 2009 in Relationships

• I have a step mom. I loved her as she was there from a very early age (1st grade) But I recently have decided she isn't all she use to be. She said it was a mistake raiseing my fathers children. Sad, her loss really. But I think as long as the new parent lets the children know they aren't replacing their "real" parent, it should work
    rememberm3alway

Answer by rememberm3alway at 3:28 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• My oldest son had the hardest time accepting my new husband - but my son was 18 when I remarried....he had grown accustomed to seeing himself as 'man of the house' or more importantly the man in 'momma's life'. It was like deer rutting season for a year and a half.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 3:46 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• Well I am a step-mom to a 4 year old. I have taken care of him more than my husband when we have him b/c my husband is a police officer and works constantly and weird hours. He is ok when is with us but here recently it has become a fight to go get him. I don't know if his mom is saying to stuff to him or what exactly is going on. We laid off from getting him for about a month but Friday we are going to get him again and I told her that we would get him whether he wanted to come or not. Once he is away from her he is perfectly fine but it is just that initial picking him up deal that we dread. I think if you treat them just like they were yours then they will finally come around to accept you. I know that sometimes that is hard but you have to remember that they didn't ask for this situation. Good Luck and hopefully they will accept you before too long!
    Anonymous

• My DH raised his 2 children - SD - 25 & married, SS - 22 & married - SD has almost destroyed our relationship. She was 22 when we married & loved me until DH & I got engaged. Said she hated me ever since. DH finally got tired of the battle & standing up for me - told me recently that he was still raising his kids and they were a team and if I couldn't accept that, I could leave ... told him when we married, he and I were supposed to be "team" and that his raising was already done when I got there!!!
    Anonymous

• I was a child that loved my step-mom from the time I met her (3) until my parents went through a custody battle when I was 10. Then I put her through some really terrible emotional stuff. I hated her for about 2-3 years, but she was always so good to me & always stood up for me when my dad was being irrational. When I got older, I understood more about what role she was trying to play & we somehow became best friends. I'm 22 now. Kids just need time... they have no control over things & that's frustrating. I"m sure that there are things you did when you were young you wish you hadn't done... I feel that way about how I treated my step-mom. It took me some time to realize she wasn't the "bad guy." Be patient & you could end up w/ a best friend.
    mrsvedaj

Answer by mrsvedaj at 4:55 PM on Apr. 1, 2009