kids and the beach?

Have you taken your children/child to the beach yet? If so, how old are/were they and how did they like it? Any suggestions or tips on sunscreen and protection? How long did you stay?

I am wanting to plan our first beach trip for next week. my 3 year old is too excited he has seen the beach on tv and bob the builder and really wants to go! my 2 year old, i dont know he is going to like it. he doesnt like mud or weird surfaces at first. it takes a minute to get used to. i am planning on getting them litle hats and probably keeping their tshirts on them for a good bit while we're there. i dont want them to get burnt or anything. so, any suggestions please let me know! thanks!

Bran6903

Asked by Bran6903 at 3:28 PM on Apr. 1, 2009 in Travel

• plenty of sunblock-i use waterbabies. i use to live close to the beach so i have taken him at a young age. he didnt like the sand at all. so that may be an issue. i hope you guys have a good time :)
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 3:32 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• I have taken my son, we just use lost of sunblock make sure he drinks lots of water and have some fun. Keep a shirt on to keep from a burn.
    rememberm3alway

Answer by rememberm3alway at 3:33 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• sand, sand, sand.. nasty sand everywhere and you dont ever get rid of it.. LOTS of sunblock and a umbrella cause it gets so hott..
    HottMamaRossx2

Answer by HottMamaRossx2 at 4:27 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• Apply sunscreen often! My 2 1/2 y/o was afraid of the water, but loved the sand. We still had fun. Don't miss your opportunity for the "first" beach experience to video tape. We did and regret it b/c he wouldn't go back in the water.
    Lovefeeties

Answer by Lovefeeties at 6:39 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• My kids love the beach and have been going since they were 5 months old. They didnt like the sand at first but got use to it. Make sure you take a blanket for them to lay on or sit on. An umbrella or some kind of small tent works well for giving them a break from sun, sunscreen of course. Plenty of drinks and snacks. Remember to put sunscreen under the tshirts too. Be prepared for them to hate it on the first day but they will probably work into liking it. Good luck
    BusyBeesmom

Answer by BusyBeesmom at 7:40 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• We lived in Guam for 2 years, so of course my 2 boys were on the beach at least once a week if not more. I recommend a really good sunscreen (California Baby makes a good one, you want PABA Free with Zinc or Titanium Dioxide as the main ingredients and apply it on their whole body, even under their clothes), and a wide brim hat. Make sure you bring plenty of water, and good sunglasses to prevent damage to their eyes from the sun too. It's loads of fun with little ones at the beach, just bring along a good set of toys to build sandcastles! =)
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 9:01 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• We live on the beach so my kids have been going since like the day they got home! lol THEY LOVE IT JUST LIKE ME & MY DH!
    QueenOfNagsHead

Answer by QueenOfNagsHead at 12:13 AM on Apr. 2, 2009

• rashguards

http://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/category.do?cid=38870
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:36 AM on Apr. 2, 2009

• I started taking my kids to the beach the first summer after they were born.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 7:31 AM on Apr. 2, 2009

• I took my DS to the beach shortly after he turned 2. He loved the water...especially the sand.
    We only stayed an hour because of the heat. Bring lots of sunscreen. I had him wear a sleeveless tshirt the whole time because he is so fair skinned. Enjoy your time at the beach.
    SCMom130

Answer by SCMom130 at 6:29 AM on Apr. 3, 2009