Are you helping to prevent your children from obesity, weight and health issues or encouraging these problems?

I just realize that with the way hubby and i were eating, when dd starts eating our food we will just be aiding in unhealthy eating habits. On top of that we are sedintary and I cant tell my daughter to go outside and get some excercise if I'm not. We are making bigger efforts now...walking to the park as soon as DH gets home from work.

So are YOU helping or hurting? How? And if youre hurting what will you change?

MamaChamp

Asked by MamaChamp at 3:29 PM on Apr. 1, 2009 in General Parenting

• I am aware of obesity issues in my own family. I give my daughter water and milk only. No juice. She can get all the benefits of juice from fresh fruit. When she is fifteen I want her reaching for a water bottle instead of a soda.
    2-1CavWife

Answer by 2-1CavWife at 3:30 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• I eat mostly healthy, my husband on the other hand, not so much. Our son is still young and he tries most everything. We run around, go hiking, play at the beach, jump on the trampoline. It is easy to be lazy and me being 20 I want to be but I know I want him to be active and healthy so I do it to.
    rememberm3alway

Answer by rememberm3alway at 3:31 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• I'm very anal with what my daughter puts in her mouth. I have to cook different meals for her because she will not eat meat....she never has. I love it meat, so i had to adjust to cooking 2 different meals. But, I've learned a lot of good vegetarian recipes. She is as much as a health freak as i am. I'm making sure she learns how to choose her foods right. She is only aloud junk food if she eats fresh veggies beforehand. Usually by the time she is done eating her veggies, she no longer wants the junk.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 3:32 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• We walk often. If we're going to the store and only need a few small things we walk (provided it's above freezing!). When it's nice out we'll all go out and ride bikes or play catch, soccer, basketball or just play at the park together. We try to eat healthy when daddy is home. But when it's just me and the kids we end up eating out a bit more since most of my "creations" aren't edible. If it's nasty out we play the Wii. We have other game systems but the kids don't play them. Those are for mommy to whoop daddys butt in baseball when the kids are in bed! :-)

So I really don't think we're doing too bad teaching them healthy habits.
    southenrmunchkn

Answer by southenrmunchkn at 3:33 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• I recognized this in my family as well and made a point of raising my son to make healthier choices. I'm active with him playing ball, walking around town, tennis, soccer. I keep healthy food for us both to snack on - fruits, vegetables, non-sugary snacks, whole grains, etc. I allow treats so that they are not forbidden and therefore more desirable, and I've recently begun a more intense change in my own eating habits to lose weight and be still more active. He knows that at his dad's, he's allowed fast food, soda and other "junk" food, but at our house, we eat primarily healthy food, drink water, milk (dairy, rice and almond), and juice (one serving a day). So I would say that yes, I'm helping in the fight against childhood obesity and related health issues.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 4:04 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• I am from the "go out and play" generation and I insist my kids get outside. I think it is healthy to scrape a knee or stub a toe and get dirty...it is part of being a kid. Sitting at the computer all day or in front of the tv or video games is contributing to childhoood obesity
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 7:45 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• We all eat healthy. We made the lifestyle change when we started trying for a baby. Now we continue to do it. We allow very little sweets(no soda) b/c we realized if we completly deprive him of something he will go crazy later on. That being said, he is allowed one cookie a week from starbucks. We make a treat when we go the mall. Every meal in the house has to have a veggie with it. I make a lot of things homemade, baking, and use very little sugar, salt, grease. I do allow him to have juice but only 100% fruit juice and I water that down and limit it . He mostly drinks milk and water anyways. If we are at a family get together and someone tries to give him something(they try often) he tells them "no" or "I ask mommy or daddy."
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 3:48 PM on Apr. 2, 2009