using medicaid and food stamps..

I have never been on them so i don't know, but i always see someposts on here from someone that got snared at while using theres at the store . I go in the grocery store 2-3 times per week, and i have NEVER noticed if or when someone is using food stamps or wic. So how do other people know ? The only thinkg i ever notice is if the person in front of me is writing a check because it takes them a year to write it out. But i have never known when someone was using food stamps, or wic. I do notice sometimes when people use coupons. And the only time i have ever came close to knowing was when i was buying formuland the cashier asked me if it was wic. So how do otheres know what you are using. They shouldn't be that freakin close to you inline anyways and easedropping. Do they ask you outloud if you are using wic or food stamps, or is it a special card or something?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:35 PM on Apr. 1, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• food stamps come on a card almost like a debit card. wic is looks like a check but on it is a list of things that you get and how much of each item you are allowed to have.
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 3:37 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• Around here it's because our cashiers have no tact, and will "helpfully" tell someone to push the EBT button as soon as they see the card. As loudly as they can.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:40 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• Yup, Food stamps come in form of a Debit card. So its hard to tell. And as far as medicaid, There is no way anyone will know unless you go around announcing it, accept for the Doctor's office.
    Anonymous

• In MI-WIC and FoodStamps come on a debit card. You have to push a different pin pad as well.
    Anonymous

• I never see what the people in front of me are paying with either (except yes, the check thing) because I really don't care and I've got other things to think about in line at the store. I assume if you've got public assistance to help you or your kids eat you need it, not my business why. If you are abusing it, sooner or later somebody will hopefully catch you. Again, not my business. I'm not the food stamp police.
    Anonymous

• WIC is obvious when someone is using it, theyre like oversized checks with a bunch of writing on them.. Food stamps is a card, so its harder to tell.
    BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 3:47 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• I think the majority of people who think people are judging them are being paranoid unless someone has actually said something directly to them. They may feel guilty or self concious about using food stamps and that makes them feel like people are watching. Personally I never notice nor would I make someone feel guilty about using them.
    Anonymous

• Answered at 2:47 PM on Apr. 1, 2009 by: BEXi
    WIC is obvious when someone is using it, theyre like oversized checks with a bunch of writing on them.. Food stamps is a card, so its harder to tell.

Most of those are changing over to debit cards too. I had the "oversize checks" until DS was born, then they changed to the EBT.

When I was on food stamps, no one ever knew except me.
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 4:28 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• Yea, it's not like we have to tell the cashier or anything. Then the cashier has to go and hunt for the EBT button. Or if you get a newbie they call it out on the intercom and everyone behind you knows you got the moron cashier and you are the lazy scum who is using food stamps.
    Anonymous

• Really they do WIC on cards? Crazy!! How do you know what to get and how much of something? Each "check" I have has a list of items and how much of it im allowed to get.. Having a card would definitely eliminate the majority of ugly looks I get.. lol.
    BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 4:35 PM on Apr. 1, 2009