When did you switch to panties/underwear?

My DD is doing well with using the potty. She has an accident here and there and it is usually #2. Every time that I have let her wear panties around the house, she has an accident and is usually on my leather furniture. At what point do I let her wear panties?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:41 PM on Apr. 1, 2009 in General Parenting

• I'd say go ahead & give her some big girl panties. It's a lot more evident when they poop in their panties, as it is their daiper. Sometimes all they need is that switch to be FULLY potty trained.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 3:45 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• When they started telling us they needed changed we got them big girl panties. There was no set age though. The oldest was 2. The middle was almost 4. And the youngest was 3. We went by when they seemed ready to train. With the oldest and youngest they had a few accidents at first and then realized they didn't much like that feeling when it ran down the legs. The middle child is hard headed. She simply did not care. She figured if she went in her pants we would change it so why sit on the toilet and then have to wipe? Little Miss Priss lol. Once the youngest started training though the middle child finally started following suit.
    southenrmunchkn

Answer by southenrmunchkn at 3:51 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• My son started wearing underwear as soon as he started full-on potty training. Yes, there were lots of messes, but we just cleaned it up and kept at it. If you're concerned about the leather furniture, either cover it or don't allow her to sit on it until after she's gone poop.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 4:07 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• I just finished potty training my youngest. I found that if I kept diapers on her she just thought it was ok to go in them. They make underwear that are cotton inside and plastic outside. They are awesome! That way your child feels the yucky when they go and decide they don't like it, but you're not stuck with the mess all over your furniture! You can usually find them at Target
    codyann831

Answer by codyann831 at 4:22 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• I did from the get go. I think it is easier to train them in pants. I got the thick training cloth panties and let them go.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 7:43 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• You have to use undies right away. That's the only way they will train. I put mine in underwear exclusively. After a few days of accidents they get it.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 5:01 PM on Apr. 3, 2009