What to say to your son??

So my son's father has a gf and we don't exactly get along. She is always bossing him around when I'm on the phone with him. THe other night I told my son that he doesn't have to listen to her when his dad is in the room with them. I told him if daddy wants you to do something he will tell you. Is this horrible of me? My ex yelled at me?

CMead02

Asked by CMead02 at 3:41 PM on Apr. 1, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I think you should talk to your ex and his girlfriend together. I know it is hard to let someone else get onto your kids and to be in control of your kids but you have to remember, you don't like her so it makes it worse. As long as she is not harming him then I wouldn't say anything to the child. Tell your ex and his girlfriend that you would rather his dad tell him what to do and take care of the punishment if he is around. That is his responsibility and it would make your son and you feel a lot better. However, he may not adhere to what you are asking but you can't bad mouth them to your son b/c you are going to make it worse and make your son all confused. Give up your pride and talk to them and tell them how you feel. 9 times out of 10 they will at least listen. Who knows they might even understand and agree.
    momwifelove

Answer by momwifelove at 4:05 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• You should have talked to your ex about this and not your son. You are going to confuse him and put him in an awkward situation. I totally agree with your point but your son doesn't really understand what your point is.
    Anonymous

• You and your ex need to talk about it. His girlfriend has no right to tell him what to do. Make sure you set up rules with the father
    rememberm3alway

Answer by rememberm3alway at 3:45 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• I don't think it's ok to give kids the idea that they don't have to listen. I think that was over the line. I think a better way to handle it would be to talk to your ex and his girlfriend about it.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 3:48 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• I ALSO AGREE THAT YOU SHOULD TALK TO YOUR EX.
    COOKY81

Answer by COOKY81 at 4:02 PM on Apr. 1, 2009