• In the Spotlight:

Weight or cardio first?

Does it matter which you do first? Somebody told me that it was best to do weights first. Anybody know?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:42 PM on Apr. 1, 2009 in Diet & Fitness

• Start with cardio unless you're already exercising in some capacity. If you start with weights and you're out of shape or inexperienced, you can hurt yourself and you don't want to do that.
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 3:43 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• I have been working out for 3 months now and was doing the cardio first but now am being told to do weights first!
    Anonymous

• I hammer out cardio one day and weights another day - that way I give them both my all - I'd say if I had to do them on the same day, I'd do my weights first when I'm fresher.
    swrockhead

Answer by swrockhead at 4:12 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• Once you are getting steady with your cardio, begin to switch it up to where you do strength training first, then cardio. The reason being when you do strength training first, the body will use up the insulin in the body first, as fuel, then it will go for the fat. You prob. want to stick to only 20-30 min. of light handbells and resistance training so that you don't get into the body jumping over to using whats on the muscle as fuel, in the beginning. :)

Prevention had a great workout for strength training last summer called "Summer Body Challenge." You may be able to still access this online. Write the routine down after watching the video examples and you'll see a dramatic diff in about 3 weeks. Then search for some cardio workouts online at Prev. I loaded an 8 min. fat blaster to my computer and its perfect for keeping your metabolism up all during the day by clicking & following the trainer. Its fun & it works.
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 6:51 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• I'm told to change it up every day. Sex is my cardio and treadmill, walking is my exercise. Plus my sweetie gets the same benefits. its become fun, do we want cardio or exercise today?? But you will find your own regime.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:28 AM on Apr. 2, 2009

• It first depends on your goal! If you want to lose weight cardio first is the way to go!! You should do at least 30 - 45 mintues first then your heart rate will stay raised while you weight train and the musles will get an increased amount of oxygen while your metabolism is kicked into gear. Definatly vary your cardio! The rowing maching is a great full body cardio that is fun and puts variety into your workout. Even doing 15 mintues treadmill, and 15 min of eliptical one day. Once you have lost the weight and you are looking for distinct body sculpting (stubborn thighs etc..) then you should switch it up and do cardio after.
    AmyLynn5398

Answer by AmyLynn5398 at 9:45 AM on Apr. 2, 2009