• In the Spotlight:

Can anyone give scripture on where it says which day is the Sabbath?

I know there have been several discussions on if it matters which day you go to church and so forth but does anyone have any scripture out of the bible that tells which day is the sabbath? I don't remember any scripture stating what day it is and I know everyone has their own beliefs I was just wandering if I missed something or if they have a certain day how they came up with that day or why they believe it is that day. I personally don't think it matters which day of the week you worship God as long as you do it and you keep that day wholy but would like other opinions and hopefully some scriptures saying it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:42 PM on Apr. 1, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• There is no New Testament Sabbath, The Sabbath was a shadow, a picture of the Christ to come, He came and breached the Sabbath rules Himself saying He was and is Lord of the Sabbath, we are free in Christ we no longer observe, days, months or years~ That is made clear in the Scriptures and Paul even rebukes the new converts for continuing in these rituals and says that he is perplexed by their conduct and affraid that he wasted his time in teaching them the simple Way of of the Gospel~
    lilhoney

Answer by lilhoney at 4:13 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• Well, there really isn't any scripture in the Bible that says which day is the Sabbath. It just says God rested on the seventh day. Technically, Saturday is our seventh day, but that doesn't mean that that's what the Bible meant. Really, going to church on Sunday and worshiping on Sunday is kind of a tradition. Like you said, it doesn't matter when you worship God. In my opinion it should be every day. You don't have to leave home to worship! I hope that answered your question!
    codyann831

Answer by codyann831 at 4:18 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• The seventh day depends on which denomination you are, really, LOL.
    For some, it's Saturday, for some it's Sunday.

Like someone said in another post - it really doesn't matter what day you celebrate the Sabbath on, as long as you keep it holy. :-)
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 4:20 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• Really who knows. The Bible says God rested on the 7th day. So in our terms that would mean Saturday. But who knows, things could have been different back then. Their 7th day could have been our Monday or Wednesday. It was so long ago and there's been different calendars (Alexandrian, Julian, Gregorian).

Personally I don't really think it matters when or how or where you whorship.
    ShutterBug77

Answer by ShutterBug77 at 4:36 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• Depends on where you live too. The Spanish calendar starts witn Monday and ends with Sunday. Ours starts with Sunday and ends with Saturday.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 4:53 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• The Jewish Sabbath begins on Friday evening and goes through to the end of Saturday.
    Not sure how they decided Sunday was the firstday of the week.

But in the Torah, creation is described : (Gen 1: 5) God called the light Day, and the darkness He called Night. So the evening and the morning were the first day.

It says "Evening and then Morning" was the first day- so they beginning their Sabbath day in the Evening
    Kiter

Answer by Kiter at 5:10 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• Scripture says the Sabbath of the LORD of creation is the seventh day of the week. Unless Jews world-wide have it all wrong, that day is Saturday. ( Exodus 20:8-11)
    God's Sabbath was/ is not a shadow. The same law that has the Sabbath at its center still stands today. ( James 2:10-12; Romans 7:7)
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 7:49 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• But God didn;t name Saturday or Sunday- that was man that decided Saturday was day 7.

Romans 14: 5 One person esteems one day above another; another esteems every day alike. Let each be fully convinced in his own mind. [6] He who observes the day, observes it to the Lord; and he who does not observe the day, to the Lord he does not observe it

I do not see how Rom 7:7 says the Sabbath is still part of the 10 Commandments. (but I also don't think it matters one way or the oother is someone keeps the Sabbath Commandment)

Rom 7:7 What shall we say then? Is the law sin? Certainly not! On the contrary, I would not have known sin except through the law. For I would not have known covetousness unless the law had said, “You shall not covet.”[a]

Kiter

Answer by Kiter at 8:10 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• In the New Testament epistles there are only 2 references to the Sabbath (Col.2:16; Heb.4:4), both these passages the apostle Paul clearly explains that the day is not a required day to be observed by Christians. To the Hebrews in the Old Covenant they were under obligation in the New Covenant neither Jews nor gentiles are. There is no command after the death and resurrection for the Church to keep the Sabbath as an obligation to Christ.

If one is to keep the Sabbath day as law then they are under the obligation to also observe the Sabbath year Lev.25:17. The land is to be tilled for six years and the seventh year is the Sabbath year. Vs. 8-24 Israel is instructed to number seven times seven Sabbath years (49) and the following year is the Jubilee (50th year) which would be observed by no sowing or reaping. All slaves were to be released, and the land they purchased is to be returned to the original owner. (con't)
    Kiter

Answer by Kiter at 8:11 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• [con't]
    All the debts were to be forgiven. For those who want to make the Sabbath day mandatory let them abide by the law and return the land they bought and forget all their debtors. Does anyone do this? Why not. Hosea 2:11: “I will also cause all her mirth to cease, her feast days, her New Moons, her Sabbaths-- all her appointed feasts.” Here we have God himself saying these will come to an end, he is the cause of it.

TAKEN FROM: http://www.letusreason.org/7thAd9.htm

Kiter

Answer by Kiter at 8:12 PM on Apr. 1, 2009