Baby boy due May 11, What will I REALLY need?

Everyone keeps asking me what I really need for my baby shower next week. Besides the given like bottles, diapers, clothes and stuff I really have no clue!! This is my first baby and most of the people that ask have kids already so I tell them whatever they think I will need the most remembering when they had their kids what really helped them a lot! But is there anything I can ask non-mommies and daddies to get that I will honestly NEED for my baby? Please let me know, what was a life-saver for you when you brought home your newborn!

ms-ambi

Asked by ms-ambi at 3:42 PM on Apr. 1, 2009 in Pregnancy

• A swing, my husband had to leave after I had my son and he lived in his swing while I showered and cleaned. Don't worry about having a million newborn dipars as they grow pretty fast
    rememberm3alway

Answer by rememberm3alway at 3:44 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• Baby soap-for laundry, receiving blankets, a boopy, ask for clothes in large sizes, you will get so many clothes for newborns that you won't get to use most of them-same with diapers, I can't think of alot my son is 4 now, but everyone always told me to not worry about the house work and spend as much time with the baby. They said when the baby sleeps you sleep, I never did and wish I would have because I was always exhausted!
    CMead02

Answer by CMead02 at 3:49 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• Pacifiers (if you want them). Burpees, washcloths, baby towels, Crib sheets (if you need them), a bouncy chair (if you want one), infant toys, diaper bag (if you need one), wipes, diapers (up to size 2 I would say). I put a stroller/carseat combo on my registry incase friends wanted to get together and buy it, but i thought it was a long shot. Turns out it wasn't, father-in-law got it for us ^-^ Uhh, thats all I can think of for now. OH, those lil kits thats have the nail clippers, thermometer, etc in them come in handy.
    SandraB383

Answer by SandraB383 at 4:03 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• o0o a baby monitor (if you want one), a baby book (if you don't already have one and don't want to pick it out yourself). I would say a swing because they really do come in handy and my daughter loved hers, but they are pricey, I just bought mine myself o.o You could also ask for the bedding set for the crib, but again, those can get pricey and you might not get it.
    SandraB383

Answer by SandraB383 at 4:17 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• Electric Breast Pump (if you plan on breast-feeding and you have to work), Boppy, Swing, Temporal Thermometer (I was always so worried about my baby girl having a temperature since she was so colicky and didn't think it was fair to be taking rectal temperature all the time), Battery Operated Nasal Aspirator (it is so much quicker and easier), stroller/carseat combo (I did the same thing thinking it would be a group gift and my mom's boss ended up buying it for me), and swaddle blanket.
    Lexi.Mommy

Answer by Lexi.Mommy at 4:26 PM on Apr. 1, 2009