How old is too old for kids to take baths together/with parents?

codyann831

Asked by codyann831 at 3:45 PM on Apr. 1, 2009 in General Parenting

• I'm stoping when he turns two, which is in May
    rememberm3alway

Answer by rememberm3alway at 3:47 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• My son is 4 and when we are in a hurry I let him shower with me. He doesn't pay attention to me, so I guess I will stop doing that when he gets interested in my body parts well I take that back lol maybe when he starts school!
    CMead02

Answer by CMead02 at 3:51 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• after a year i would say.. they start looking then..
    HottMamaRossx2

Answer by HottMamaRossx2 at 3:52 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• When one or the other (parent or child) becomes uncomfortable.

Example: My daughter (10 months) grabbed my SO's manhood a few weeks ago. Now he won't bathe with her anymore. She has not done anything like that with me, so I will bathe with her until one of us gets uncomfortable.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 3:52 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• None of my kids take showers with me now. They are 8, 4 and 2. It's more of a convenience thing then a modesty thing. It's easier for the 2 younger ones to bathe together. I also don't like having them underfoot when I'm in the shower tryin to shave and whatnot! If my 4 year old wanted to jump in with me I might let him but once he turns 5 I probably would put a stop to it.
    Anonymous

• My son's almost 4 and we occasionally bathe together. Neither of us are uncomfortable, but the fact of the matter is that he's getting to big for us to both fit!
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 4:05 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• I read that @ 3 yrs. old is best to stop bathing w/ your child. The article said b/c this is the time when kids really start to develope memory & no one really wants even the vaguest memory of being naked w/ their parents. However, I bathed w/ my sister who's about 7 yrs. older than me til I was around 4-5... I have NO memories of bathing w/ my parents. I personally think it's ok for girls to bathe w/ mommy longer than boys & boys w/ their dads. I think each is different, but 5 should definitely be the cut off date.
    mrsvedaj

Answer by mrsvedaj at 4:44 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• My husband took baths with my oldest son until he was 2 (now 4) and our youngest is now 12 months and has been taking a bath alone (with supervision of course) for at least 4 months. With the rare occasion with his older brother still. I think it is up to the parents to decide when.
    MommaM2

Answer by MommaM2 at 5:36 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• My son will be 3 in June and still showers with hubby and me from time to time. It is just easier and he loves it because then we can color with him.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 11:42 AM on Apr. 2, 2009