My dd, my ds, and my dh are ALL sick, fever, vomiting, diareah. Do you think it helps to control the germs to spray with Lysol and to open the door to get fresh air in?

I am trying to avoid getting sick myself!!! Do you think these two things help kill germs and possibly keep someone from getting sick?

Just wonderin! Of course we wash our hands like crazy people, that is the BEST thing you can do.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:48 PM on Apr. 1, 2009 in Health

• I say absolutely. Getting some circulating air in the house can help get that stale air out that is just full of the germs they have been coughing up. And if its not cold outside, let the kids go out if they want to. Fresh air does wonders for sickness.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 3:50 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• My moms swears the only way she survived chemo and cold and flu season is because of Lysol. When my kids get sick I use it especially during cold and flu season.
    okmommy08

Answer by okmommy08 at 3:50 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• instead of Lysol, what works BEST is bleach mixed w/ water. As long as it's not on anything stain-able. This is THE best method for killing germs. Lysol is very bad for the environment too,

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 3:51 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• Yes! I agree with all the moms here. When we had a bad bout of flu about three years ago, I washed down everything with bleach and then went crazy with the lysol. I opened my windows too. the moms in a group i was in were laughing at me about opening the windows in the middle of winter, but warmth breeds germs and I didn't care. I opened those windows for maybe an hour at a time periodically through the day. It helps.
    CinderAmethyst

Answer by CinderAmethyst at 3:54 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• OP here: it just feels better to me to open the doors and spray. lol I HOPE that it is doing good.

Anonymous

• Absolutely, althought I might try a more natural method of cleaning (like Green Works). Some will argue that your immune system is strengthened by not cleaning the germs out of your home. This is a widely misunderstood concept. Sterilizing your home might weaken your immune system, sanitizing it will not. In fact, people who are exposed to too many germs in their home have weaker immune systems because their immune systems are already constantly in over-drive protecting them from the bacteria they're living in. Keeping a sensibly sanitized house (especially when family members are sick) is the best way to avoid getting sick yourself. Yes and open those windows!

Don't use antibacterial hand cleaners or soap BTW. Antibacterial soaps contain antibiotics and constant exposure of germs to unnecessary antibiotics encourages the germs to mutate, becoming stronger and resistance to antibiotics.

Hope everyone feels better!
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 3:56 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• Lysol is not all it's cracked up to be. It can make you more sick. Use natural cleaning methods instead.
    extremelibrary

Answer by extremelibrary at 11:15 PM on Oct. 18, 2010