Would you quit trying to give a nap?

My DD turned 3 in Dec. and has always been a good sleeper. Up until a few days ago she would lay down and sleep 2-3 hours everyday. The past couple of days, she keeps calling me in there and wanting to get up but I don't let her. She falls asleep, but it takes 1- 1 1/2 hours for her to go to sleep. And she is still going to bed on time at night and sleeping good! Why is it taking so long for her to go to sleep?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:51 PM on Apr. 1, 2009 in General Parenting

• Try letting her stay awake one day. If she still goes to bed on time, she may not need naps anymore. My son just turned 4 and he no longer takes naps.
    Anonymous

• It sounds like she is requiring less nap time & I would accomodate that. Maybe it would be good for her to some quite time right before her nap, instead of laying there waiting to fall alseep when she isn't ready (I know I hate that feeling). If her night time sleep is unaffected and she has the same amount of energy during the day I would let her stay up til she's tired. She may be naturally weaning herself off of naptime, so I'd follow her natutal rhythm.

BubbaLuva

Answer by BubbaLuva at 3:58 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• I'd say she's ready or nearly so. I'd start setting a timer and let her know that she must lay quietly in bed until it goes off. She can read books but she must by laying down quietly. If you peek in and see she is asleep, stop the timer. Otherwise, let it go and let her get up after her rest period.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 5:18 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• Sounds like she is outgrowing naps. Don't force her to nap. Sometimes just resting is enough. My son stopped napping at 2 yrs old. Think of this, do you like to be forced to nap when you may not be tired? She may be a child, but she may not need a lot of sleep.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 5:19 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• Well this happened to us with our three yr old. Now we have quiet time. He doesnt have to sleep but he has to stay in his bed with a book or a quiet toy. Some times he will still fall asleep.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 7:41 PM on Apr. 1, 2009