If your child was an extended rear facer, about what age was your child when (s)he started forward facing?

I was just looking at my car seat's guide (for a Britax Diplomat) and it says the max standing height for rear facing is 33". My daughter is only 20 months and about 23 lbs, but she's 31". I thought she'd be rear facing for at least another year. So about what age was your babe when (s)he reached rear facing maximums and started to forward face?

jellyphish

Asked by jellyphish at 3:53 PM on Apr. 1, 2009 in General Parenting

• I turned dd around a few weeks go so about 22 months. It is sooo much easier to install my car seat forward facing so we turned around and can switch easily to friends cars, too. Works great. I didn't have a max height for rf, but did have a min height for ff which is 33 inches.
    Anonymous

• this is why I laugh every time I read someone say they are going to keep their child rear facing until 2 or 3! my 18 1/2 month old is 32 or 33 inches and she is not tall for her age either.
    hotslingmama

Answer by hotslingmama at 4:12 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• Are you serious? Rear facing until 2 or 3? That's crazy. I think my son was forward facing by 6 months old. He outgrew the infant carrier by 3 months old. How does a 2 yr old even fit rearfacing? Aren't their legs scrunched up? I AM NOT BASHING, I AM ASKING. Things really have changed since my son was an infant, for that matter since my 5 yr old niece was an infant.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 5:17 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• Well, tyfry, because her legs bend at her knees and hips! Forward facing before 12 months AND 20 lbs is dangerous AND illegal, rear facing for as long as possible is safest because in an accident a forward facing child is more likely to break their neck. Right now my daughter still sits incredibly comfortably and has quite a bit room for her legs to grow before having to turn her around, (that was part of my confusion). I hope that helps.

Anyway, I figured it out. 33" isn't necessarily the max, but something to consider. There is also a sitting height- 15" butt to shoulders- and that's more important. She's about 12" so she's got a while. As long as she's under 35lbs and there's at least an inch of car seat above her head she's good to rear face.
    jellyphish

Answer by jellyphish at 5:32 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• Well, I was told to wait til he was 1 to forward face him given the weight/height but we turned him at 11 months old. 2 or 3?? never heard of that!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:33 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• I hope my little guy can rear face until two at least. I've read that as long as his head is one inch lower than the top of the back of the carseat then he's good. His legs aren't too scrunched up. He's about 32" at least right now. Maybe taller...I haven't had him measured recently.
    EvaLee

Answer by EvaLee at 5:51 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• The height is a rough guideline. It depends. If their shoulders are above the top slots, then they are too tall. If they are at or below, then they are still ok in the seat. It varies because some kids have taller torsos then others.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 6:32 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• People. She asked if your child was an extended rear facer...if you aren't educated on this topic then do some reasearch...stop hijacking her question and let her get some answers from people who are educated on ERF.
    Anonymous

• I guess I need to read my owners manual again lol
    hotslingmama

Answer by hotslingmama at 10:20 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• I read that if your lil one's head is an inch under the top of the carseat and under the max weight for RFing limit they can stay RF'd. Luckily my dd is a lil one!
    lilrie1980

Answer by lilrie1980 at 12:34 PM on Apr. 2, 2009