My Homeschooled Teen Sleeps All Day

My 15 is on indapendant studies and is doing all his work but he sleeps all day. When I try to wake him he is mean and nasty so I just decided to let him sleep. Does any one have any suggestions on how to get his sleep back on track. I am tired of the fighting so I just gave up trying to wake him.

dillonsma

Asked by dillonsma at 4:02 PM on Apr. 1, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• Even though he is getting all of his work done, that does not give him the excuse to be a lazy bum and sleep all day.

Is being home schooled his choice/your choice? If is something that he values doing, I would suggest telling him that either he gets up and out of bed and starts being active, or he goes back to school full time.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 4:03 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• pour ice water on his neck and then tell him he has to change/wash his sheets too!
    Anonymous

• He is home schooled due to medical reasons. He is better now and will finish off this year, as he says he wants to return next year. I have tried everything to get his sleep habits back in order and I am at a loss.
    dillonsma

Answer by dillonsma at 4:11 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• he probabally has nothing else to... have you ever considered public school
    eri3004

Answer by eri3004 at 4:11 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• You said medical reasons, maybe he is depressed b/c of his issues or b/c of not being in his normal school. (I am assuming he was there before)

mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 4:17 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• I am in a similar boat. My son has bad GERD and struggled to get to school in the am so he is going on Independent Studies this week as it has gotten worse... most likely from stress and the school itself. If I let him he would sleep all day. Try getting him to go to bed earlier, eventually his body will get retrained to get up earlier. Yes he will be tired but sleeping all day is a sign of depression and just avoiding life itself! We will be getting ours involved in TKD to help with the exercise part of it . I have been at wits end too so I feel your pain! Limit his computer time as well.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 7:10 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• I would get him involved someway with the school again, slowly if needed, there is still alot of the year left, it wouldnt hurt him to go back now, and it would probably make him feel more social and happy! being at home with mom all day doesnt exactly sound like a blast to me!
    Anonymous

• What do you mean he's rude and nasty? You let him get away with that? He would get pulled out of bed. The blanket and sheet would come off, and he'd be up. He would loose his laptop, cell phone, TV, ipod anything that has value to him. Remember you are the mom, don't be afraid to act -like it. When My now 15 yr -not home schooled, but on the weekends she dis try to sleep later, but at 10am if she is not up I turn her light on. Pull of the blanket and tell her to get her butt out of bed and start her day before she's grounded.
    There is no reason for him to be mean or nasty to you. You are his mother and he should respect you at all times. You can't just let him sleep his life away. Get him involved in the community after he does his studies. He can help out at food banks, soup kitches, hospitals. Plus all that stuff looks great when applying for college.
    Vanessannd

Answer by Vanessannd at 12:30 AM on Apr. 2, 2009

• Your teen may be nasty and rude because they are tired or it could be hormons...completely normal. I still wouldn't let them get away with it, they need to understand just because they don't feel well doesn't give them the right to be nasty or rude. Although I admit I am still working on this with my teen.

As for sleeping all day..teens need more sleep, almost as much as a toddler because of all the changes in their body. In addition to this your teen may be a night owl and trying to keep a regular schedule is difficult.

My dd, age 13 is a night owl and homeschooled. She never gets up before 2 pm in the afternoon and usually goes to sleep around 4 or 5 am. As long as I let her do this she's in a better mood, although this might not work for everyone. She's pretty good about getting her school work done.
    I don't know what to do about the friend thing. We're still struggling with that ourselves.

Good luck!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:41 AM on Apr. 2, 2009

• YOu are the parent. Tell him to get his ass up or you are putting him back in traditional school and he can deal with the police and turant officers.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:14 AM on Apr. 2, 2009