For moms who use CIO

My son was getting VERY attached to me and it got to the point where he nor I was getting any sleep. The dr said we need to let him CIO(cry it out) well it worked well after just a few days and he started giong right to sleep. Then a few days ago he started waking at 430am and wouldn't go back to sleep. He wanted mommy. So now we're back at square one basically. For moms who use CIO how do you get them back to sleep in the middle of the night? Also for nap time he will only sleep 15 min or so (2 naps a day) and then cry and cry. I need some advice on how to stop this adn get him to sleep better. He is exhausted but refuses to sleep.

Also if you don't use the CIO method DON'T REPLY and DON'T BASH.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:02 PM on Apr. 1, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Well, how old is he?

Kaylee is 10 1/2 months, and our compromise to co-sleeping was that she would sleep in her crib all night, and at 5 or 5:30 when she woke up, she could come to bed with us and finish off her morning sleep. Usually at that time it takes an 8ounce bottle and a diaper change to get her back to sleep though.

For naps...I don't know what to tell you. I have tried letting her CIO, and sometimes it works, sometimes not. For the times that it doesn't, I go to her (after 20 or 30 mins) and hold her for 5 mins and she is so exhausted she falls asleep right away, then I lay her back down and she sleeps fine.

Sorry I don't have any other advice for you :(
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 4:06 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• Have you tried putting him on his belly to sleep? That's what finally worked for us.
    Anonymous

• Well, you shouldn't do if before they are 6 months but you have to be VERY Consistant - if you are making the choice to let them CIO- from the time you close the door to the schedule you want them on, you can't go in there - unless of course, you think they are hurt - whatever type of CIO method you are using, you cannot give up - consistancy is very important - the more I strayed from that the worse he got - I read the book healthy sleep habits, happy child and although the book didn't apply to my son 100% it gives TONS of methods you can try - its tough cause now my son is almost 17 months old and hearing him say MAMA when he is crying SUCKS! But he has always had sleep issues and after I started the CIO he got SO much better! now he only wakes cause he's getting his molars!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 4:24 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• he's just over 9 months and I stick to it until he crise longer than 30 min cause he's obviously isn't going to take a nap. i just don't like letting him CIO at 430 in the morning
    Anonymous

• Is he having a growth spurt? When he wakes at 4, does he eat a lot? Is he getting food before bed? Are you able to rock him or rub back to get back to sleep or is he wide awake?! Is he teething? Maybe getting sick?
    Anonymous

• You should just keep letting him cry. Just be sure to check on him, but not let him see you. Or make sure you have your monitor on to make sure his cry doesnt change. =] Be consistant. good luck =]
    mommykayti

Answer by mommykayti at 5:21 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• I haven't tried giving him a bottle (that was my plan for tonight!) because he will sleep till 8 with us and not wake up. I never wanted to CO sleep because this and only did it for a few night and now it's bitting us in the rear! He gets dinner at 630ish and then bath and bed between 830-9 we wake him back up at 10 30 if he doesn't wake up himself to get a BIG bottle and cereal. He's wide awake screaming when I get in there (which is just a hop skip and jump away) possibly teething but nothing bad yet and pretty sure he's not getting sick. i check his temp at least once a day just to see what it is, and I often check it when I can't get him to take a nap just to make sure he's felin ok.

He has been taking 2 naps a day, a friend just suggested we lay him down for 1 afternoon nap.....I'm willing to try anything to help him sleep better
    Anonymous

• WHY are you waking him up if he is asleep? That is crazy...at that age he should be eating food and going to bed and being allowed to sleep all night long. My daughter eats a big dinner (Gerber Pasta Pick-Ups and an 8 ounce bottle) and sleeps all night unless she loses her pacifier. You should consider giving him real food and he might sleep all night long. He is old enough to eat just about anything that you do (yes even if he doesn't have many teeth).
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 5:33 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• Oh yeah. Just keep letting him cry. It'll do wonders for him. He's crying for love, attention, and comfort. But that's not important. Whatever keeps him from clinging to you and makes him sleep alone is what matters. So just let him cry cry cry. He'll eventually understand that mommy won't help him. Then you'll be happy and he'll be quiet.

Carolyn, you're wrong. A 9 month old should not be eating everything adults do and teeth are THE thing to look at when considering solids.
    Anonymous

• My son is 4.5 months old. He has 2 naps during the day. They last about 45 minutes. I know when he needs a nap as he starts getting cranky. I give him a full bottle and he sleeps. If he doesn't I let him cry for about 10 minutes then give him a bottle and he goes right to sleep. Also, he does not go to bed early. He goes to bed around 10 at night. Before he goes to bed he gets a full bottle and some oatmeal. He sleeps through the night til about 730 or 8am. My daughter was pretty much the same. Maybe try a later bedtime it that works for you.
    Anonymous