since it appears that everything has started out pagan...is palm sunday a pagan holiday?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:04 PM on Apr. 1, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• No I don't believe so, although I could be mistaken on this one. But in my 8 yrs in catholic grade school the bible said that jesus carried palms, or the people waved palms, so that was literally from the bible so not stolen I believe. As far as I know Pagans haven't used palms in pre-christian days. I could be wrong though. I'm pagan for the record, but you may want to ask a more experienced pagan on this one. I'm more an "intermediate" Pagan here.
    CinderAmethyst

Answer by CinderAmethyst at 4:08 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• I know that Christmas and Easter (among other holidays) have adaptations from pagan rituals. I've never heard anything about Palm Sunday. Palm Sunday is based on Jesus' welcoming by the people by throwing their coats and palm branches down before his donkey to walk on. As far as I am concerned, Palm Sunday involving a morning service and palm branches fits the Biblical description and doesn't seem to have anything else added to it (I'm protestant, I'm not sure if there's any iconism added by the Catholic church but I doubt it).
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 4:11 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• i dont think its pagan i think its just a catholic ritual. pagan holidays are like christmas,valentines day, easter, holloween (obviously) and birthdays
    Anonymous

• It seams that you are a little frustrated about the Pagan ancestry of some of our Christian holidays . . . I may be making an incorrect assumption here . . . (i sometimes do).

Our holidays may seem to have some resemblance to Pagan holidays, but that doesn't mean they started out Pagan. I think a lot of it can be chocked up to coincidence, really. But that's another thread . . .

As for palm Sunday, I don't THINK there's any resemblance to any other Pagan traditions, again, I could be wrong. Although, during fertility rites, pagans would wave and wear branches and leaves from surrounding trees and plants, so there ya' have it.
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 4:19 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• they did start out as pagan rituals and christians adapted them as their own and incorporated some of they stuff they did into the holidays
    Anonymous

• It's really hard to find original ideas so just about everything has a basis in something older than it's self. So in a sense Christianity's origins are from Judaism and the Hellenic world in which it grew, with each contributing religion having roots that are even further back in time and in older religions. So if anything Christianity has roots in Classical Paganism, not the modern Neo-Pagan movement. Any particular aspect of Christianity may have been appropriated from older Classical Pagan tradition, reworked and remodeled to fit a Christian theology.
    isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 4:28 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• Everything is pagan. Christians are watered down pagans. It all started pagan. Nothing is Christian it is all pagan
    Anonymous

• As far as I know, Palm Sunday is in direct correlation to the Christian Easter. A lot of holidays are adapted to Christianity from pagan religions, but Palm Sunday is a celebration of when Christ rode the donkey into Jerusalem before he was crucified. The people threw palms in front of the donkey as a welcome to Christ. Days later, the crowd turned ugly as the Pharisees incited them to riot mode claiming that He was blaspheming God. Then they called for crucifixion. He died hanging on the cross, thus Good Friday is celebrated. Three days later He rose from the dead, and we celebrate Easter.
    PSMother

Answer by PSMother at 4:46 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• since it appears that everything has started out pagan...is palm sunday a pagan holiday?

Nope, just like Christians didn't adopt all pagan/heathen holidays. Christians don't celebrate Misdummer - that is primarily an ancient holiday. Palm Sunday is a new holiday. Sometimes the ancient holidays have been adapted to new holidays, but that doesn't mean they're all related.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:01 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• Palm Sunday is a holiday?

Since when?
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 5:25 PM on Apr. 1, 2009