My daughter just turned 3 and we can't get her to stay in bed at night or for naps during the day...any suggestions?

We've tried not giving her naps and even keeping her up late at night but she just does not want to stay in bed! The big problem is...she gets up and gets in to stuff around the house. Baby gates don't work anymore, she just climbs over them:(

codyann831

Asked by codyann831 at 4:27 PM on Apr. 1, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My neighbor put a screen door in place of the bedroom door. I think theirs had a plexy glass bottom and a screen on top.
    Lexi.Mommy

Answer by Lexi.Mommy at 4:34 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• When my daughter got her new toddler bed and could get out on her own, we bought her those plastic, glow in the dark stars. Every night that she stayed in her bed and slept all night, I gave her a new star to stick on her ceiling the next morning.
    LovetoTeach247

Answer by LovetoTeach247 at 10:47 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• my daughter used to do that..so i just started to give her books when she went to bed so that she could read to herself..and if she woke up she would grab the book and start reading..i think that alot of time with stuff like this, bribing works wonders..im not one for using bribery with children..but..if it works..great!! i used bribery with my daughter when i potty trained her..if she stayed dry all night lon she would get a popsicle the next day..if she peed the bed she didnt..
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 1:38 AM on Apr. 2, 2009

• Is she really really hyper? She may have ADHD and Insomnia goes along with that. My twin granddaughters have meds for both. They used to get up all through the night and get everything out of the refridgerator and pour it all out into the floor and play in it like mud wrestling! Then they would go into the cabinets in the kitchen and open up all of the food and pour it all out and strow it all over the house while my daughter and her husband slept. They would not turn on any lights either. They did it all in the dark and was quiet about it! This went on for two years before a doctor would refer them to a specialist to get them on meds. They never slept! They might take a nap at night for an hour or two, then POW! It was aweful!! Tell her doctor!!
    coke2pep

Answer by coke2pep at 9:55 AM on Apr. 2, 2009

• Children need their sleep time it is crucial for their development. What was her sleeping habits prior to the toddler's bed like? Could you elaborate on her sleep patterns also?
    bebita

Answer by bebita at 1:21 PM on Apr. 2, 2009