Cop who stopped Moats in hospital lot resigns

DALLAS (AP) - The police officer who pulled out his gun and threatened an NFL player with jail instead of allowing him inside a hospital where his mother-in-law was dying resigned Wednesday
Officer Robert Powell had been placed on paid leave pending an investigation of the March 18 incident.
"I made this decision in the hope that my resignation will allow the Dallas Police Department, my fellow officers and the citizens of Dallas to better reflect on this experience, learn from the mistakes made, and move forward," Powell said in a statement issued through his attorneys.

do you think that the cop think that he was in the wrong? and that is why he is resigning. or do you think that it is some thing else.
what are your thoughts?
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/9403378/Cop-who-stopped-Moats-in-hospital-lot-resigns?MSNHPHCP>1=39002

mrssundin

Asked by mrssundin at 4:35 PM on Apr. 1, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I'm sure he resigned knowing he was about to get fired. That's not the first time he has misused his authority.
    michelle1219

Answer by michelle1219 at 4:38 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• Theres already another post on this.. I dont think he was wrong in his actions UNTIL the nurse and the other cop came out to confirm Moats story. Then thats when I think Powell was just on a total power trip.
    BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 4:37 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• im glad that he had the dignity to do that, he made a horrible mistake. cops try to act all tough but look at what happened. i would have just handed him my info and tell him to leave the ticket on the windshield. or tell him to follow us up to the room.
    Anonymous

• Ok maybe I read that story wrong but the guy ran a red light the cop pulled him over which means he did his job because the man still broke the law.....how would he be out to get fired ??? Not saying I would not run the light hell yeah I would but the cop did his job..
    Willywonka06

Answer by Willywonka06 at 5:06 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• I do not think he should have pulled the gun but people can argue here, becase the man was refusing to listen and he did break the law still no matter who is in the hospital. Cops usually over react though but he was doing his job, end of story.
    Willywonka06

Answer by Willywonka06 at 5:09 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• "Theres already another post on this.. I dont think he was wrong in his actions UNTIL the nurse and the other cop came out to confirm Moats story. Then thats when I think Powell was just on a total power trip. "

I agree.
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 5:16 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgnFagZevpI
    I didn't see any arguing.
    bxbsmommy

Answer by bxbsmommy at 5:16 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• I think he was wrong in this case, but I can't say anything bad a man who puts his life on the line everyday for a living.
    mandy2412

Answer by mandy2412 at 6:55 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• i think the only reason he quite was because he was getting death threats and he has small kids and he want to protect his family. and if the guy was not a nfl player would it really be getting all of this talk?
    twinsnseptember

Answer by twinsnseptember at 5:13 PM on Apr. 2, 2009