• In the Spotlight:

naptime trouble with 5 month old

Hi - My 5 month old is doing great with sleeping in her crib at night (12 hrs usually). So I shouldn't complain, but I am having big issues with nap time. She usually goes down for a morning nap of about an hour or so after nursing. She usually sleeps on my lap. Any attempt at moving her means no more nap. In the afternoon, I usually put her to sleep with a long stroller walk. I used to have to carry her, but now she has transitioned to the stroller. I have tried unsuccessfully to put her down in her crib. It is dimly lit in there, there is white noise...pretty much like at night only slightly lighter. I have tried to rock her to sleep, but as soon as she hits the mattress, we begin a horrible struggle with her crying. After about a half hour to an hour, I give up and she doesn't take her nap which turns into the horrible fussies in the evening. Any advice? I really hate the cry it out method, but???

SereneJoy

Asked by SereneJoy at 5:40 PM on Apr. 1, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Hate to say it but just let her cry. I also have a 5 mo old little girl and half of the time that just what I need to do with her. I lay her down in her crib and leave the room- half of the time as long as she has her nuk and blanket she will roll to her side a be knocked out.. other wise i will let her cry for 5 min then go stick her nuk back in and that usually works if not shes still hungry i feed her about an ounce then shes out like a light for about 3 hrs. hope that was helpful
    torimommy21

Answer by torimommy21 at 5:43 PM on Apr. 1, 2009