protein in urine

i went to the doctors yesterday im 36 weeks and the nurse said i had protein in my urine they said they were sending it out.. what could this mean?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:40 PM on Apr. 1, 2009 in Pregnancy

• you may have pre eclampsia... or it could not be that... im sure your dr will let you know right away if thats what it is they may induce soon if you do have that becuase it can be a risk during labor for both baby and mom
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 5:44 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• Protein in your urine means you could have a UTI or a kidney functioning problem. But if you are far along in your pregnancy it could be a sign of preeclamsia or high blood pressure.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 5:45 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• my blood pressure is normal they said..
    Anonymous

• Did they mention a kidney issue or uti? But even if your blood pressure is not high right now, it might indicate to the Dr's that you could have it during labor.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 5:53 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• if i had a kidney issuse or uti what would that mean for labor?
    Anonymous

• did they make you collect your urine for 24 hours yet
    Anonymous

• no..
    Anonymous

• If you were in labor right now with a UTI, they would put you on IV antibiotics (watch out for diareah from that)

But if labor is no where in sight then they would probably put you on oral antibiotics.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 6:09 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• Protien in the urine sample that you gave can mean a number of things, and it may mean nothing at all. UTI's are easily treated. Just wait until you get the call before worrying. :)
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 6:09 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• Im Anon 4:00--I had protein in my urine during the last two months of my pregnancy. The first time it show protein it wasn't too high so they waited until my next visit, it had increased so they collect my urnine for 24 hours. They told me to drink lots of water and try to lay and relax as much as possible I had the toxima/preclampsia. Did the nurse tell you if yours was low or high traces.
    Anonymous